All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

how to get a ride?
May 08, 2007 11:23AM
In June I will need to get from the Valley to Tuolumne. I want to leave my car in the valley then shuttle up and hike back.
I already checked into YARTS. They won't work because they don't get to Tuolumne until well after 5:00 which is my deadline for picking up my permits.
I know there HAS to be a way to get a ride, but I'm having trouble finding one. Does anyone have any suggestions??
Thanks!
Re: how to get a ride?
May 13, 2007 01:08PM
I have a car and I will be up there on that date. I don't know why I couldn't car you up there. I am not sure how far it is.I have a two seater but if all you need is one seat your good to go.
May 14, 2007 11:30AM
Is YARTS the same thing as that hiker's bus? I've never taken a bus, only heard of it. Did you try calling the Wilderness Center?
May 14, 2007 06:21PM
Hi-

First time posting here, but I'm curious. I thought there was the Hiker's Shuttle. I wanted to leave my car in the Valley and hike through from Tenaya Lake to the Valley (got my wilderness permits all set up with that in mind).

I checked at the following from Delaware North (the first you'll need to click on "Shuttle Service, Park & Ride or Hike" where it says [[u]More Info[/u]]:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/destination_nationalpark.aspx
http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_GuidedActivities.aspx

It says there's a Tuolumne Meadows "Hikers Bus", but when you click on their link it says it's the "Tuolumne Meadows Tour" which runs from "July to Labor Day". This makes it sound as if they just add the hikers to the standard tour bus. I'm going to call the reservations desk for more info.

May 15, 2007 06:09PM
I called the Delaware North (Yosemite official concessionaire) tour desk at (209)372-1240 this morning and asked about the Tuolumne Meadows bus tour, whether it was the same bus used for the hiker's shuttle, and when it might start running. I noted that their website info says it starts in July.

The answer was that the bus used for the tour is also used as the hikers' bus, and that with the light snow this year they hope to have it running by Memorial Day (i.e. really early). I guess one of the details is that the bus stops at a few places (Olmstead Point, Tenaya Lake) along the way for photos because they are running it primarily as a tour bus. Stopping at Tenaya Lake is not a problem for me, since that's where I plan on starting my wilderness trip. It's supposed to leave various spots in Yosemite Valley starting at around 8 AM.

If you're going to call, keep on retrying if nobody answers. They probably only have one operator right now. I don't think you can reserve the tour bus more than 7 days in advance.

May 29, 2007 12:19PM
I called again, and this time the operator said there are conflicting stories. This guy told me perhaps mid to late June. I guess a problem is whether the road will be suitable for the buses. It probably will be running sooner than July, but they can't give a firm date on when the Tuolumne Meadows bus will be running.

I was given the number of the dispatch and was told to inquire about a week before my trip.

May 15, 2007 06:51PM
My Lonely Planet Yosemite guide says they can drop you off at your trailhead and will pick you up if you flag them down. Reservations strongly recommended.
May 17, 2007 05:51PM
awesomepossom wrote:

> In June I will need to get from the Valley to Tuolumne. I want
> to leave my car in the valley then shuttle up and hike back.
> I already checked into YARTS. They won't work because they
> don't get to Tuolumne until well after 5:00 which is my
> deadline for picking up my permits.

Can't you pick up the permits at the Valley wilderness center? That's what I'm hoping to do for my trip starting at Tenaya Lake. In any case, the Tuolumne Meadows hikers'/tour bus might be running by then.

May 17, 2007 07:30PM
There is also a place to get permits at the north park entrance (Hwy 120) if you want to get your permit on the way in.
May 17, 2007 09:28PM
letterknit wrote:

> There is also a place to get permits at the north park entrance
> (Hwy 120) if you want to get your permit on the way in.

Yeah - I know. However - the original poster said something about going from the Valley to Tuolumne. Anyone who's going to be in the Valley anyways might as well stop at the main wilderness center, especially if renting a bear canister. I'm pretty sure the wilderness center can issue any permit (except Hetch Hetchy?).

A coworker of mine prefers the Big Oak Flat (west entrance) permit station. I'm not sure how the "self-registration works, so I'm thinking I just go to the Valley wilderness center anyways.

June 08, 2007 01:42PM
The Tuolumne Shuttle has begun operations for the Season. Service operates daily from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM. The Tuolumne Tour and Hikers Bus has also begun operations for the year. Valley Visitor's can utilize this fee based service to travel from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne and return the same day or stay over and return another day. The Bus Departs Yosemite Lodge at the Falls at 8:20 AM. The bus begins its return trip from Tuolumne Lodge at 2:05 PM. For more information regarding the Hikers Bus or to make reservations please call 209-372-4FUN (4386).

June 13, 2007 03:45PM
eeek wrote:

> The Tuolumne Shuttle has begun operations for the Season.
> Service operates daily from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM. The Tuolumne
> Tour and Hikers Bus has also begun operations for the year.
> Valley Visitor's can utilize this fee based service to travel
> from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne and return the same day or
> stay over and return another day. The Bus Departs Yosemite
> Lodge at the Falls at 8:20 AM. The bus begins its return trip
> from Tuolumne Lodge at 2:05 PM. For more information regarding
> the Hikers Bus or to make reservations please call 209-372-4FUN
> (4386).
>

I just made a reservation for my trip next week. It's $23 for the full tour with return trip, but only $14.50 if you get dropped off along the way. The operator informed me that I would need to pick up my ticket at Yosemite Lodge even though I'm going for the pickup at Curry Village bus stop #13b. I'm not 100% sure where the tour/hikers' bus lets off at Tenaya Lake, but I guess I can inform the driver that I want to be dropped off at the West end closest to the Sunrise trailhead.

Post Edited (06-13-07 18:09)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login