Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Glacier Point & Tuolumne Meadows

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Glacier Point & Tuolumne Meadows
May 10, 2007 08:41AM
What do you guys think the hiking (snowshoeing?) conditions will be like around G.P. this weekend? Also any guesses on T.M. opening dates? Thanks, J.
avatar Re: Glacier Point & Tuolumne Meadows
May 10, 2007 12:37PM
A buddy and I hiked to Dewey Point from Tunnel View last weekend. There were some patches of snow but they were disappearing fast and were all above about 7000'. I doubt you will find any snow below 8000' that would be of any concern. Forget the snowshoes even if you are going higher as the snow will be very firm. Crampons would be a better choice for crossing snow in the higher elevations at this time.

Old Dude
May 10, 2007 03:14PM
On May 5th, I hiked from Happy Isles to Merced Lake and back. There was very little snow on the ground at Merced Lake (7,250'). The dusting the previous day was gone except at higher elevations (Clouds Rest).

Thanks, MI
May 10, 2007 03:19PM
Mike,
THAT is a pretty good day hike.

Old Dude
May 11, 2007 07:00PM
It was a bit much. I got an early start at 4:30 am ended up at Merced Lake at noon and back to the car by 8:00 pm.

Some guys buy a red car at mid-life crisis some do long hikes in the mountains.

MI

May 11, 2007 08:38PM
There's no snow at Glacier Point. As for Tuolumne the store is already covered and the only snow is in the shade.

May 14, 2007 11:34AM
The only thing you might want to be careful of is the trail being obscured by patches of snow or mud early in the season. Bring a map/compass and be prepared to do some trail searching at times if necessary. We got a little confused once hiking around Sentinel Dome/Taft point area early in the year.
May 14, 2007 02:47PM
Thanks, just got back today. A few tiny patches of snow here and there, but not enough to obscure the trail at all. Fabulous weather all weekend- 71 at Wawona campground!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login