All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Fall is the Season for Bear Encounters: Spray or Bullet?
October 09, 2009 09:49PM
http://www.islandparknews.net/atf.php?sid=7269&current_edition=2009-10-08
ISLAND PARK — Every year we have bear conflicts in our neighborhoods and every year we talk about conflict prevention.
This year’s cooler temperatures and adequate rainfall have contributed to an abundant wild food year for bears in our area. However, we still have an unacceptable level of human created conflicts....

http://www.newwest.net/topic/article/hunters_use_bear_spray_help_save_your_sport/C41/L41/

Hunters, Use Bear Spray, Help Save Your Sport

By Bill Schneider, 10-08-09
Bear spray offers much more "personal protection" than handguns, so use it. Every encounter between hunters and grizzlies resulting in a dead bear not only delays delisting, but also gives more ammo to anti-hunting activists.
General big game hunting seasons are opening soon, and legions of stealthy hunters will be silently stalking around grizzly country in pre-dawn darkness, but only after they’ve sprayed themselves with human scent blocker, “buck scent” or stale elk pee. As sure as the seasons will open, some of them will have a close encounter with a grizzly, often resulting in a dead bear. .....

US Fish and Wildlife on Spray vs Bullets Article
http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/bear%20spray.pdf

How to use Bear Spray video:
http://www.centerforwildlifeinformation.org/BeBearAware/BearSpray/bearspray.html

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2009 09:55PM by Frank Furter.
avatar Re: Fall is the Season for Bear Encounters: Spray or Bullet?
October 10, 2009 06:40PM
http://www.missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/article_c63750b6-b5e2-11de-9d53-001cc4c03286.html
Man attacked by bear near Cooke City

By the Associated Press
Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:20 pm

BILLINGS - The Park County Sheriff's Office says a man has been attacked by a bear in southwestern Montana....

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: Fall is the Season for Bear Encounters: Spray or Bullet?
October 11, 2009 10:52PM
Several hours before your post, I purchased two medium-sized cannisters of bear spray for my son and son-in-law. They were planning to hunt on the east side of the Beartooth Plateau, and Cooke City is on the west. I personally go out of my way to avoid the beasts, but they don't have that luxury when they're hunting deer or elk. If you never heard of the concept before, the grizzlies on the east side of Yellowstone have come to regard the report of a firearm as a virtual dinner bell. If they arrive fast enough, they can often intimidate the hunter to surrender the entire carcass, or if too slow, a gut pile. It is a win-win situation for the bear, and nobody ever accused them of being stupid.

I wonder if someone can comment on one question for California and Yosemite: Is OC bear spray legal there? I left California in 1974, and a lot has changed since.
October 12, 2009 12:07AM
Dearborn
I wonder if someone can comment on one question for California and Yosemite: Is OC bear spray legal there? I left California in 1974, and a lot has changed since.

It's legal, but you are restricted in the amount that you can carry. Scroll down this link for information:
http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/relatedinfo/states.shtml

For anyone who may be interested, here is an informative link:
http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/brownbears/pepperspray/pepperspray.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 12:22AM by szalkowski.
October 12, 2009 06:57PM
It's been pointed out to me that the language in the laws regulating weapons in national parks prohibit carrying bear spray, as it's a weapon, but I don't think it's enforced - I see bear spray in side holsters in Yosemite all the time. I also don't think it's necessary at all.
October 12, 2009 08:10PM
It's laughable.

Old Dude
October 12, 2009 08:34PM
AlmostThere
It's been pointed out to me that the language in the laws regulating weapons in national parks prohibit carrying bear spray, as it's a weapon,

Not only permitted, but encouraged in some parks:

http://mms.nps.gov/yell/videos/bearpepperspray/bearpepperspray_256.wmv
October 13, 2009 09:05AM
Always carry bear spray in grizz country. A darned good idea, and very effective when used by a person who is not panicking.

Of course, panic = all bets are off ;-)
October 13, 2009 09:11AM
California used to have restrictions on pepper spray and tear gas. Are those still in effect? I think you needed to take a class or get a permit, if I remember correctly.

-- Carl Sagan
October 13, 2009 01:29PM
Frank Furter
California used to have restrictions on pepper spray and tear gas. Are those still in effect? I think you needed to take a class or get a permit, if I remember correctly.

The restrictions are gone for those not under 18.
October 13, 2009 07:59PM
eeek
Frank Furter

The restrictions are gone for those not under 18.

Pepper spray is more common than it used to be. I remember way back when, real teargas was available for people who took the class and got a permit.
October 12, 2009 12:18AM
Why would you want bear spray in Yosemite?
October 13, 2009 09:03AM
In my experience, bear spray is unnecessary when dealing with black bears. I would not bother. I don't think it is legal in Yosemite anyway.
October 12, 2009 01:09AM
I think I would want bear spray to season the taco sauce
October 13, 2009 01:33PM
Let's just put all this to rest. The best thing is six shots from a 44 Magnum.

Old Dude
October 13, 2009 05:09PM
You can buy "bear" spray at Fry's Electronics in San Diego, Sacramento, off the shelf. The last time I actually used it on any animals was to try to break up a fight between two of my kitty cats up in the attic. Did it work? No. Does that stuff really work on bears? Or just grizzly-like humans?
October 13, 2009 05:44PM
Vince
Does that stuff really work on bears?

Yes, it works. In fact injuries were lower in grizzly attacks than they were for those using guns.
October 13, 2009 05:46PM
eeek
Vince
Does that stuff really work on bears?

Yes, it works. In fact injuries were lower in grizzly attacks than they were for those using guns.

Good to know since guns are too heavy to put in your backpack (I never carry a gun with me)
October 13, 2009 08:00PM
Vince
You can buy "bear" spray at Fry's Electronics in San Diego, Sacramento, off the shelf. The last time I actually used it on any animals was to try to break up a fight between two of my kitty cats up in the attic. Did it work? No. Does that stuff really work on bears? Or just grizzly-like humans?

Bear spray is supposed to be more concentrated and is larger than the California 2.5 oz maximum size.
October 13, 2009 08:25PM
Way back when a border patrol agent dropped his can of pepper spray. It wasn't any more concentrated than what you can buy in the stores, it was just a lot bigger. And like I said, it's just taco sauce.
October 13, 2009 09:04PM
Vince
And like I said, it's just taco sauce.

Ok, do an experiment. Get yourself to taco sauce and apply it to your eyes. Then try to assault something.
October 14, 2009 12:55AM
Taco sauce?

A number of years ago, I entered a garage where a formerly-hostile young man was being decontaminated of law enforcement-grade OC pepper spray. I am minutely asthmatic, but usually only have a problem when I have an upper respiratory infection, BUT that residue sent my bronchial passages into a spasm - and I had to leave immediately. I have since decontaminated people sprayed with civilian-grade OC and didn't suffer any ill effects. About 2 months ago, I met the owner of UDAP bear spray (of Bozeman, MT) in the Billings, MT Cabelas store, and he informed me that his bear spray was far more potent than law enforcement-grade OC. The gentleman explained to me that the capsicum blast overwhelms the bear's eyes, throat and nasal passages and they generally lose their enthusiasm for their previous pursuit. He was prompted to develop an effective spray repellent from a profound mauling that he took years ago, and studies of OC use show it to be more effective than a firearm. My money is literally on the OC spray, but I do not intend to underestimate its potency.

As for bear spray in Yosemite, if the NPS will permit it, I would carry it. I have been bluff-charged by black bear sows with cubs at Indian Caves and Glacier Point, and that was a very frightening experience.
October 14, 2009 01:44AM
Dearborn
As for bear spray in Yosemite, if the NPS will permit it, I would carry it. I have been bluff-charged by black bear sows with cubs at Indian Caves and Glacier Point, and that was a very frightening experience.

I've been bluff-charged many times. You don't need pepper spray; just remember it is a bluff.
October 16, 2009 01:23PM
More news of Fall bear encounters:

http://powelltribune.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2707&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=2
A hunter’s series of unfortunate events
Written by Gib Mathers
Thursday, 15 October 2009
Montana sheriff calls hunter shooting during grizzly attack an accident

Although officials with the state of Montana and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service say they will release no information pending completion of an investigation, the Park County Sheriff’s office in Livingston, Mont., found no negligence when one hunter accidentally shot his friend Saturday while trying to fend off a grizzly that was attacking the friend.

The grizzly was killed, but the hunter’s arm also was hit in the struggle......

associated story related to above:
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2009/10/16/news/098bearclosure.prt

Grizzly bear carcass prompts closure of section north of Yellowstone
By Chronicle Staff
The Gardiner Ranger District has closed an area of the Gallatin National Forest east of Cooke City where the carcass of a grizzly bear killed after it attacked a hunter last weekend is now attracting other bears....

-- Carl Sagan
October 16, 2009 01:26PM
Even in California:

http://cbs5.com/pets/bear.mauls.hunter.2.1245997.html

( Brown Bears in the Sierra????)

Hunted, Injured Bear Attacks Hunter In Sierra
CAMPTONVILLE, Sierra County (CBS 5 / AP)

An 83-year-old hunter is recovering from severe arm and shoulder wounds after a brown bear mauled him in the Tahoe National Forest. ......

----------------

-- Carl Sagan
October 16, 2009 01:56PM
Frank Furter
( Brown Bears in the Sierra????)

Same as the number of reporters that know a brown bear from a black bear?
October 13, 2009 10:00PM
I can say for certain that the regular strength pepper spray works on people (or atleast small ones); I accidentally sprayed myself directly in the eyes in college
October 16, 2009 02:39PM
But, but, it was brown!

I'm still working on a blonde bear sighting but if I do it might just be the dumb reporters
October 16, 2009 04:22PM
Vince
But, but, it was brown!

I'm still working on a blonde bear sighting but if I do it might just be the dumb reporters

How 'bout blonde highlights?

These girls are from Montana.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login