All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Decline in big predators wreaking havoc on ecosystems
October 16, 2009 08:33PM
The decline of top predators such as North American wolves and African lions is driving increases in smaller predators such as coyotes and baboons, disrupting ecosystems and economies worldwide, a study concludes.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2009/10/decline_in_big_predators_wreak.html
avatar Re: Decline in big predators wreaking havoc on ecosystems
October 16, 2009 08:39PM
I think the entire world has been a disrupted ecosystem for hundreds of millions of years.
October 16, 2009 08:43PM
Vince
I think the entire world has been a disrupted ecosystem for hundreds of millions of years.

You missed the point.
October 16, 2009 11:11PM
eeek
Vince

You missed the point.

No, I didn't.
Re: Decline in big predators wreaking havoc on ecosystems
October 17, 2009 01:13AM
You know - tongue-in-cheek - I've been quietly insisting for years that the grizzly bear and wolf need to be re-introduced to Yosemite. It goes without saying that they would expand their range a mite afterward, but think of the photo opportunities.

I've been gone too long to know the game counts in and around Yosemite, but the elk and moose numbers are said to be dwindling in the Yellowstone region.

Be careful of what you seek - and be thankful you have an area you can hike without encountering those big nasties!
October 17, 2009 02:36AM
Dearborn
You know - tongue-in-cheek - I've been quietly insisting for years that the grizzly bear and wolf need to be re-introduced to Yosemite. It goes without saying that they would expand their range a mite afterward, but think of the photo opportunities.

Maybe we could start by concentrating them along the Half Dome trail.
October 18, 2009 08:57PM
Dearborn

I've been gone too long to know the game counts in and around Yosemite, but the elk and moose numbers are said to be dwindling in the Yellowstone region.

Be careful of what you seek - and be thankful you have an area you can hike without encountering those big nasties!

I, for one, would welcome them. Unfortunately, millions of others would freak out and chaos would ensue.
October 18, 2009 09:15PM
People freak out with BLACK bears for heavens sake.
October 19, 2009 01:14PM
bill-e-g
People freak out with BLACK bears for heavens sake.

True - mostly, they go gaga and act reckless trying to get that perfect photo, but some act like the sky is falling if a bear comes within a mile of them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login