Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Wyoming: Antlers, the horns of a dilemma

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Wyoming: Antlers, the horns of a dilemma
October 18, 2009 05:49PM
http://www.billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/article_a298b5b0-bbfe-11de-b1b6-001cc4c002e0.html?print=1

Antler frenzy leads to possible Wyoming rules
Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:50 am
CHEYENNE, Wyo. - The chance to find an enormous and valuable set of antlers shed by a mighty bull elk or mule deer has been drawing ever-larger crowds of people from around the region to western Wyoming each spring.
Some look for antlers on foot. Others ride snowmobiles or all-terrain vehicles. Many are so eager to go home with antlers - sometimes stacks of them - they often get too close to the areas where elk and deer congregate, and spook the herds into running.....

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 05:50PM by Frank Furter.
avatar Re: Wyoming: Antlers, the horns of a dilemma
October 19, 2009 09:08AM
I remember parking near this in Jackson, Wyoming.

October 19, 2009 09:44AM
As with most of these "esoteric" interests, I am always amazed how much there is to know once you scratch the surface. I just thought people picked up antler found in fields and along the road in overwintering areas like Jackson Hole. I had no idea that driving the animals to exhaustion would facilitate the natural loss of antlers. I have been told, that antlers typically have a very short T1/2 in the wild due to consumption by rodents. (Probably also due to "tourists". I once saw a young man and woman pick up some elk antlers and put them in their car in Yellowstone. I did not hesitate to inform him that taking those was illegal and I asked him to return them to where they were found.)

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
October 20, 2009 04:23PM
October 20, 2009 06:36PM
Antler hunting permits?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login