All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 23, 2009 08:45AM
This country has been crumbling since this video from 1948

avatar Re: My country tis of thee
October 23, 2009 09:41AM
Vince,
I'm just not going to watch a 9 minute video (my attention span is too short).
One should put in perspective how great things were in the 40's because to glorify that time one needs to then ignore the unsafe vehicles; the school, housing and work discrimination; the lynchings in the south and the Ku Klux Klan; injuries to the environment (DDT, etc); ethnocentrism; unsafe working conditions; and a host of other forgotten problems with the "Good Old Days".
In many respects, as crappy as many things seem now, these are the Better New Days compared to anytime in the past that I can recall.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
October 23, 2009 12:15PM
This is actually an anti-communist propaganda short. Things were pretty hot on that subject in the late forties. Things are so bad today that communism is virtually gone from the planet. Joe McCarthy would be proud.

Old Dude
October 23, 2009 10:40PM
Oh, please. So communism is gone and replaced with Obamaism?
October 23, 2009 10:41PM
That's right.

Old Dude
October 23, 2009 10:42PM
Did China somehow vanish?
October 23, 2009 10:45PM
Hardy communist anymore plus they hold about 3 trillion in US bonds. They own a lot of this country. Sleep well in that knowledge.

Old Dude
October 24, 2009 08:05AM
Vince
Oh, please. So communism is gone and replaced with Obamaism?

Vince,

Can you define "Obamaism" all by yourself without quoting the same tired right wing propaganda that has led your down this path? In other words, do you have any honest to goodness original thought on this subject? Original thinking is rare so I was just curious.

Jim
October 23, 2009 10:51PM
There is a book that I read years ago called, The Good Old Days: They Were Terrible!! Did you remember to mention rampant Polio and TB? My father tells horror stories about diseases that are all but forgotten (yes, there are outbreaks of TB, but NOTHING like the "good ol' days"winking smiley. SARs? nothing. Swine Flu? They develop vaccines as fast as the strains -- nothing like the TB and Polio "Assylums" of yesteryear.

B

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2009 10:52PM by Bee.
October 23, 2009 10:56PM
Polio.

In my grammar school days there was at least one polio victim per class. Crippled. The March of Dimes' function was to fund vaccine research for polio and purchase iron lungs for kids that had the disease attack their breathing muscles. The horror in those days was being stuck in one of those things until you died.

Old Dude
October 25, 2009 08:45PM
This Catalonian Burro picks up stuff pretty quick.

Old Dude
October 25, 2009 03:31PM
Bee
Did you remember to mention rampant Polio and TB?

Yes, my mother got polio as a kid. Because of that I have been extremely well vaccinated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 03:31PM by eeek.
October 25, 2009 06:38PM
And this initial video is related to Yosemite in what way? Is there a Batman/Helicopter connection here as well?
October 26, 2009 12:32PM
Since this is the General Discussion Forum it does not need to relate to Yosemite.

Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login