All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Off the wall-death in Yosemite book!
May 16, 2007 04:22AM
I ended up ordering this book from the Yosemite Ass'n. (I could not find it locally) and am rather dissapointed as Yosemite is just about the prettiest place on earth and while the outside cover of the book is nicely done and attractive, there are no photos inside the book at all. Oh well, I can look on the internet to see photos of Beautiful Yosemite.
avatar Re: Off the wall-death in Yosemite book!
May 19, 2007 12:27PM
You have to be kidding.

It's a book for adults and mature kids (I qualify for both).

Somewhere in internetville you will find a pop-up book to your liking. Good luck.
May 19, 2007 01:54PM
Re: Off the wall-death in Yosemite book!
July 17, 2007 12:01PM
I'm a few hundred pages into this book, and thus far have found it rather interesting, and fascinating at the same time.

One story in particular that caught my attention is the plane crash on Dec 9, 1976. A plane smuggling marijuana crashed into the Lower Merced Pass Lake. With a storm approaching, and it being back country, the rangers/fbi wouldn't think it would be attainable, and could leave it put until further time of investigation. It's amazing what a little weed and money does to some youths heads. The instant rumors created swarms of kids with scuba gear, and chainsaws to loot the plane (underneath a frozen lake). This incident later was called the "Lockhead Lightning."

here's a link to the book on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Ghiglieri-Charles-Butch-Farabee/dp/0970097360/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-5464721-9038240?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184698679&sr=8-1

July 17, 2007 12:07PM
I found the book to be very informative and quite intriguing.

BTW, its' actually "Lodestar Lightning."
July 17, 2007 02:25PM
swmphotos wrote:

> here's a link to the book on amazon:

There's one right under the picture at the top of the screen.

July 18, 2007 09:27PM
I ordered the book and also Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon for a slight discount on Amazon.

I have read about 10 pages of the Yosemite book and flipped through a lot of it. So far, so excellent! I take back what I said earlier, sort of. The book is quite well organized, can't wait to dive further into it. I'm camping out at Devils Postpile over my birthday (Aug. 12), I plan on reading more than hiking.
July 20, 2007 07:46PM
I had read less than half of the book (Death in Yosemite) when we went for our Half Dome trip at the end of May, and found that I remembered a lot of the incidents as I saw reminders along the trails.

People don't think much of filling a water bottle next to the roaring Merced, but I think it made me extra-cautious in some of those little things. When you read about people falling in while doing just what you're doing, and being found a few days/weeks later in the river, it helps you realize that people get killed doing ordinary things, not just the climbers on El Cap or people who swim above waterfalls.

Somewhat ironically, the day we went to our Upper Pines campsite (May 29) they had found someone in the Merced above Happy Isles who had fallen in a few days before. Nobody knew what was going on, but we found out when we got home.

The only gripe I have is that the book harps constantly about hiking alone (though you hear that a lot elsewhere, "never hike alone"winking smiley. While it's nice to hike with friends or family, it's not always possible, and I can't imagine anyone I know who likes to hike thinking "I'm not going alone because it's too dangerous." I guess it is a good thing though, to be aware that there is a lot less margin for error when you're hiking by yourself, so extra caution is a lot more important; but I'm not about to sit in camp or stay home because I don't have someone to go along. Plus, for a photographer, there's a lot more freedom when you don't have to worry about holding up a group...you can take your time anywhere you please.

But it's overall an excellent book, and one you can read in bits and pieces, which is a priority to me, and I'm still finding sections I haven't read yet.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
August 08, 2007 12:17PM
AUTHOR SIGNING SATURDAY - On Saturday, August 11, from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 P.M., Yosemite Association will host a book signing in the Valley Visitors Center. Michael P. Ghiglieri, co-author of "Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite" will be on hand signing copies of his best-selling book.

"Death in Yosemite" as it is commonly called, is the page turning book containing gripping accounts of all known (nearly 900) fatalities in

Yosemite National Park, from its early days, to the present. The book explores the decision making that has led to many fatal accidents

throughout the years, and perhaps can educate, inform, and save lives in the future. The book carries a warning: It contains graphic material which may not be suitable for all readers.

Dr. Ghiglieri, who grew up at Lake Tahoe, is also the author of "Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon". His career has spanned the study of primates in Uganda, leading whitewater rafting expeditions in the wild places of the world, several Kilimanjaro ascents, and he has authored documentary screenplays and books on ecology, and chimpanzees behavior.

Copies of his book in Cloth ($36.95) and Paper ($24.95) are available at the Yosemite Association Bookstore in the Valley Visitor Center. The store opens at 9:00 a.m. daily. Yosemite Association members will receive their member discount when presenting their card at time of purchase. DNC Privilege Card holders receive their discount, as well.

The Yosemite Association is a non-profit cooperating membership-funded association that raises money for educational, environmental and
interpretive programs in Yosemite National Park. The Association has been helping Yosemite for more than 80 years, through the publication of books and maps, and the operation of retail outlets in the park visitor centers, and also providing educational seminars, a complete volunteer program supporting the park.

August 08, 2007 03:00PM
Interesting to read of the drug plane crash.. I just listened to a book-in-tape called "High Country" which is a fiction account of a drug plane crash in Yosemite.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Country-Nevada-Barr/dp/0399151443

I just stumbled across it in my library. It was a decent book, whetted my appetite to visit the park, which I am will do next week.
September 20, 2007 08:30PM
i just purchased the book tonight at Barnes & Nobles. looking forward to it.

9/22/07:

wow! i can't believe how many people have died from falling down Vernal, Nevada and Upper Yosemite Falls! skimming through the book, it's absolutely amazing how many people have died in the park... very very interesting book.

Post Edited (09-22-07 12:10)

Like I always say, "if you can't laugh at yourself, let me do it".

My Yosemite Blog: http://yosemiteforrest.blogspot.com/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login