All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Long To-Do List for New U.S. Parks Chief
October 29, 2009 03:43PM
YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. – Jonathan Jarvis assumed the helm of America's national parks this month, but not before he made two important pilgrimages. The first was to the home of 19th-century conservationist John Muir, in Martinez, Calif. "I stood under the trees Muir planted and hoped some of his wisdom would find me in the shade," Mr. Jarvis says of the man who helped turn national parks into a worldwide phenomenon.

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/articles/article/long_to-do_list_for_new_u.s._parks_chief/13848/#at
Re: Long To-Do List for New U.S. Parks Chief
October 31, 2009 10:09PM
I am just so damned happy that we finally get a person who knows and understands the parks and their resources, loves them and appreciates them. I hope he can be as politically astute as he is environmentally aware.
avatar Re: Long To-Do List for New U.S. Parks Chief
November 01, 2009 02:06AM
It's just asinine for someone to stand underneath some trees and suddenly figure out how to be a leftist hack. I'm sure he was already there. I'll enjoy picking apart his garbage until someone else replaces him.
November 01, 2009 04:37AM
Vince
It's just asinine for someone to stand underneath some trees and suddenly figure out how to be a leftist hack. I'm sure he was already there. I'll enjoy picking apart his garbage until someone else replaces him.

As usual, Vince, you certainly didn't bother reading the article... although you do seem to be an expert where garbage is concerned.
November 01, 2009 08:09AM
I'm not sure of the poetic imagery of standing in the shade to get inspiration, but the article does bring up several points:

1. There has been political manipulation of the Park Service (snowmobiles and pseudoscience creationism) but does not mention the issue of guns in the national parks as another act of leverage by the NRA. It does suggest that there is growing recognition that the factors of impact and importance to many Parks do not start the borders (global warming, need for "buffer" between developed areas and wilderness).

2. What would YOU do if you had this position?
Sometimes these positions in the government are imbued with more virtual than real power (like the Queen of England). Should the goal be to initiate significant programs that would require long term implimentation ( "plant some acorns"winking smiley, focus on cosmetic changes ("lipstick on a pig"winking smiley, increase or reduce infrastructure, improve or reduce overall access to the parks (insulate or popularize), become the lapdog of a special interest groups ( similar to a recent 4 letter adminstration), etc. etc?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login