Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome Cables

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Half Dome Cables
May 19, 2007 12:30AM
Eeek, I might have missed it in one of the posts.

But has YNP announced when the cables will be up for the season?

Thanks.

Bill
May 19, 2007 01:43AM
I never saw an announcement but they're up.

May 19, 2007 12:14PM
You mean these cables?

It's not as scary as it looks and getting there is, um, 50 percent of the adventure? 60 percent? Go there and decide for yourself!
May 19, 2007 01:48PM
I never found the scary at all. Going down was harder but I learned to go down backwards with one cable hand-over-hand while leaning back.

Re: Half Dome Cables
May 20, 2007 03:05AM
I've never found going up or down scary. Going up is much harder I think. It's pretty steep in some sections.

Coming down is quite easy especially if you go down as if you are going down a ladder. You just kinda feed yourself down.

Going up after a long hike to get to the cables is the hard part for me. But definitely worth the effort when you get to the top.

The posted picture is pretty good. Probably as good as any I've seen that show the length (about 800 feet) and the steepness.

Eeek, thanks for letting me know that the cables are up. I usually find that info here or on the Park Service site, but I hadn't seen it yet. Too bad they weren't up sooner before the woman from the Bay Area fell. Had they been up, she would have been fine.

Bill
May 20, 2007 02:29PM
Half Dome (actually about 80 percent dome but who's counting) is a great place to shoot the bull, chew the rag, just plain BS with people you just met and won't see again unless you care to. Have fun!
May 20, 2007 08:56PM
And if you bladder gets full, it's like peeing on top of the world winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login