All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

camping in Sequoia
May 19, 2007 11:46AM
I was told I could ask this question in here - so hopefully someone can help me! I want to take a large family group camping in the Sequoia National Park/Forest around the first week in August (3 or so sites or one group one). I want to be in or near the Giant Sequoias, be near a place to swim (if possible...lake or river), but also be able to make reservations. I was considering Dorst or Lodgepole but there is no place to swim, and I think they are booked anyway. I was also considering Hume Lake, but they don't seem to take reservations (or do they?) Any suggestions??? thanks!
May 19, 2007 12:18PM
Camp in Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon. You will have no problem finding a campsite. Hume Lake/Grant Grove/Boyden Cavern are all within minutes of driving. Hiking trails abound. Kings Canyon is every bit as beautiful as Yosemite without the crowds. A side trip from there is the giant forest on the Generals Highway, a windy but easy half-day trip to General Sherman tree. Sequoia/Kings Canyon parks are like going to church.

Take Hwy 180 out of Fresno up past the entry gate, hang a left, go down the hill. You will not be disappointed.
Re: camping in Sequoia
May 21, 2007 08:13AM
Regarding Lodgepole, actually, swimming can be accompliished in the river there (it is pretty shallow come August, but its great for the kids) and I have never had too much trouble getting some late camping reservations there...much less crowded or busy than Yosemite before I wrote it off, I'd give it a try. Crystal cave is nearby, as are nice small-summit day hikes like the Baldies, and the walk up to Tokopah Falls is gorgeous.

Having said that, King's Canyon is also sweet and well worth your time. I am not sure if there are great places in the canyon to swim, but there may be some. It will be *warm* there!

Wilderness forever,
Bruce Jensen
May 21, 2007 12:10PM
http://www.reserveamerica.com/ca/Hume_Lake/Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?agency=NRRS&parkId=1547

I think you posed this question in another forum. I don't think it's been possible to actually camp among the sequoias since lodging and campgrounds in Giant Forest Village was removed in the late 90's. A campground is not the best thing for the health of sequoia trees with their extremely shallow root systems. Oh - you might also try Stony Creek Campground.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/ca/Stony_Creek_/_Sequoia/Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?agency=NRRS&parkId=1554

I rather like the idea of building boardwalks to mitigate soil compaction like they did at Muir Woods NM. Coast redwoods also have shallow root systems that spread out.

Post Edited (05-21-07 14:14)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login