Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Memorial Day Weekend Campsites at Sequioa/Kings Canyon

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Memorial Day Weekend Campsites at Sequioa/Kings Canyon
May 19, 2007 07:56PM
Hello -

First, wonderful forum. It has been really helpful for planning our trip to Yosemite. And yes, I do enjoy looking at others' photos prior to our trip.

Now for my question, we are coming from Wisconsin, so I am unsure how busy to expect things or how long it takes to get places. We have reservations for Yosemite, but prior to Yosemite we are planning some day hikes in Seirra NF and Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Right now I have a reservation at the Wishon Campground on the Tule in Seirra NF (Sequoia/Kings Canyon's reserved sites are full).

Does it make sense to do day trips from Wishon Campground to Sequoia/Kings Canyon or are there likely to be campsites available at Sequoia/Kings Canyon that we should risk going there instead of staying the entire weekend at Wishon?

Right now we have a 3-day reservation at Wishon.

Thanks!

avatar Re: Memorial Day Weekend Campsites at Sequioa/Kings Canyon
May 20, 2007 01:03PM
Camp at Cedar Grove. You will have the entire valley to yourself almost. Kings Canyon is severely underappreciated. And you can sit on the rock where John Muir started the Sierra Club. I'm no fan of the Sierra Club since they became radical, but the rock is the rock. Take yourself back 100 years.
Re: Memorial Day Weekend Campsites at Sequioa/Kings Canyon
May 21, 2007 08:24AM
Vince wrote:

"And you can sit on the rock where John Muir started the Sierra Club. I'm no fan of the Sierra Club since they became radical, but the rock is the rock. Take yourself back 100 years."

FWIW, John Muir was quite a radical himself at the time, and made plenty of waves with his strongly progressive views. I am upset with the SC myself these days for many reasons, but in some ways they are (IMHO) backwards and blind.

But you are right, John Muir is, and always will be, worthy of remembrance.

Wilderness forever,
Bruce Jensen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login