All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 09, 2009 07:10PM
It did this:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/misc/sh-dscn3911.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2009 09:27PM by eeek.
November 09, 2009 09:47PM
Well Ric, imagine that.

Carbon Dioxide Kills Trees.

But only on Mammoth

Here's why.

Tree roots require oxygen as do you. So no camping at Horseshoe Lake.

Three people on Mammoth tried to rope off a CO2 outburst from Mammtoh in 2006, all dead.

Guess what. Volcanoes give off a multitude of poisonous gasses, including CO2. They just do that. So let's legislate them out.

Guess what. Volcanoes won't care and they will do what they do.

What is your point? Dead trees at Horseshoe Lake is nothing more than nature at work. You nor I can do anything about it. Can't hug those trees, they're dead, dead, and even after that, dead.
November 09, 2009 10:02PM
Is that a Harbor Seal lying on the log in the middle of the photo?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Re: Carbon Dioxide
November 12, 2009 11:02AM
Vince's amazing tirade notwithstanding - winking smiley

...since vegetation requires CO2 to survive and make food for itself, What is the mechanism that kills trees with CO2? An overabundance of oxygen certainly will not harm those who require it for respiration...?
November 12, 2009 11:10AM
bpnjensen
...since vegetation requires CO2 to survive and make food for itself, What is the mechanism that kills trees with CO2?

Bruce, here is a useful link:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs172-96/
November 12, 2009 11:32AM
Interesting. There are soda springs (bubbling springs that appear "hot" but are bubbling due to the CO2 content) in the Sierras near Mammoth. I wonder if they have changed.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
November 12, 2009 01:30PM
Frank Furter
Interesting. There are soda springs (bubbling springs that appear "hot" but are bubbling due to the CO2 content) in the Sierras near Mammoth. I wonder if they have changed.

You mean this one?

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/misc/sh-p9162156.jpg.html
November 12, 2009 01:41PM
That could be either the one near Devil's Postpile or in Tuolumne Meadows. But, yes. Looks like that. Those of us used to boiling water think twice about puting our hands in those pools.

-- Carl Sagan
November 12, 2009 01:42PM
Frank Furter
That could be either the one near Devil's Postpile or in Tuolumne Meadows. But, yes. Looks like that. Those of us used to boiling water think twice about puting our hands in those pools.

It's Devils Postpile.

November 12, 2009 01:45PM
I wonder if there is one near Truckee as there is a village called Soda Springs there.

-- Carl Sagan
November 12, 2009 02:10PM
Frank Furter
I wonder if there is one near Truckee as there is a village called Soda Springs there.

Quite a few on here: http://deepcreekhotsprings.net/dchs/showhs.php
November 12, 2009 02:20PM
I noticed steam rising about a half mile east of 395 last July a couple miles south of Lee Vining on my way to Mammoth. I figured I would check it out on the way back since it was on the other side of the highway but when I came back later it had warmed up enough so the steam was not visible. Never did figure out where to turn off.

Jim
November 12, 2009 02:25PM
tomdisco
I noticed steam rising about a half mile east of 395 last July a couple miles south of Lee Vining on my way to Mammoth. I figured I would check it out on the way back since it was on the other side of the highway but when I came back later it had warmed up enough so the steam was not visible. Never did figure out where to turn off.

Jim

Sounds too close to 395 to be the Warm Spring on the south side of Mono Lake.
November 12, 2009 02:28PM
eeek
tomdisco

Jim

Sounds too close to 395 to be the Warm Spring on the south side of Mono Lake.

Oh well. I'll check it out some morning next summer.

Jim
November 14, 2009 05:16AM
There is also Soda Spring at Glen Alpine near Fallen Leaf Lake just next to S. Lake Tahoe.
(we got a kick out of the signs that said "So Lake Tahoe" )

I don't recommend tasting the water...

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 14, 2009 05:27AM

(we got a kick out of the signs that said "So Lake Tahoe" )

There used to be a sign for a small gas station and resturant along highway 50 east of Placerville that said something like:
"Eat at Wigwam
and Get Gas!"

-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login