Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Manure Power: Dairies harness methane to create renewable energy

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Manure Power: Dairies harness methane to create renewable energy
November 11, 2009 04:05PM
So not only does Albers make a profit as a dairy farmer, he also brings in income for creating and selling renewable energy. Furthermore, he’s helping to lessen the affects of global warming by reducing his dairy farm’s greenhouse gas emissions.

http://bakersfieldexpress.org/2009/11/11/manure-power-dairies-harness-methane-to-create-renewable-energy/
avatar Re: Manure Power: Dairies harness methane to create renewable energy
November 11, 2009 04:19PM

The carbon dioxide is “flared,” or burned off (the effects of which are not harmful to the air, Warner of the air pollution control district said). What is left is high-quality methane that matches the purity of natural gas.

I don't understand the chemistry for burning carbon dioxide.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
November 11, 2009 04:20PM
Frank Furter

The carbon dioxide is “flared,” or burned off (the effects of which are not harmful to the air, Warner of the air pollution control district said). What is left is high-quality methane that matches the purity of natural gas.

But isn't it a great trick?
November 11, 2009 04:36PM
eeek
Frank Furter

The real story here would be the burning of carbon dioxide-- a solution to global CO2 accumulation--- not a story about recovering cow flatus.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
November 11, 2009 04:38PM
Frank Furter
eeek
Frank Furter

The real story here would be the burning of carbon dioxide-- a solution to global CO2 accumulation--- not a story about recovering cow flatus.

It's too bad the reporter never took a chem class. But this is the first time I've heard of farm generated methane being put into the utility's system.
November 11, 2009 04:55PM
eeek
Frank Furter
eeek
Frank Furter

It's too bad the reporter never took a chem class. But this is the first time I've heard of farm generated methane being put into the utility's system.

I read the story carefully for that very reason. I hope they are able to remove sufficient amounts of oxigen or other oxidizing componds to prevent an explosive mixture. I was puzzled why the biomethane has restricted uses.

-- Carl Sagan
November 11, 2009 05:36PM
The principle of carbon dioxide flaring is the same as the one that allows the use of water in an alcohol cat stove.

Old Dude
November 11, 2009 05:39PM
mrcondron
The principle of carbon dioxide flaring is the same as the one that allows the use of water in an alcohol cat stove.

November 11, 2009 06:24PM
mrcondron

Maybe in a parallel universe with different chemistry. That would be an alcohol dog stove.

-- Carl Sagan
November 12, 2009 02:06PM
Winter is coming and cabin fever has already begun. Can anybody tell?

Jim
November 12, 2009 02:14PM
tomdisco
Winter is coming and cabin fever has already begun. Can anybody tell?

Cabin fever?

[Is that a Chick-on dancing in there?]
November 12, 2009 02:27PM
Yep, looks the the whole yosemitenews.info crowd. Where do you keep our ship?

Jim
November 12, 2009 03:17PM
tomdisco
Yep, looks the the whole yosemitenews.info crowd. Where do you keep our ship?

Jim

Loon Lake.
November 12, 2009 03:23PM
szalkowski
Loon Lake.

And here I thought we left it at Table Lake.
November 12, 2009 03:45PM
eeek
szalkowski
Loon Lake.

And here I thought we left it at Table Lake.

You've forgotten that we are planning on running the rapids on the South Fork of the American River early next April?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2009 03:46PM by szalkowski.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login