Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Quotes Thread

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 12, 2009 05:28PM
Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter.
—Ansel Adams
November 12, 2009 05:49PM
"Never stand between a dog and the hydrant." - John Peers

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
November 12, 2009 07:48PM
"Never ever whittle towards yourself or pee against the wind". My grandfather.

Jim
November 12, 2009 09:10PM
Those who see things only in black and white are missing the gray matter in-between -- Shoshana B.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2009 09:12PM by Bee.
November 12, 2009 09:17PM
"To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system.” --Mal
November 12, 2009 09:43PM
"If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater." --Rev Book
November 13, 2009 05:33AM
"An intellectual is someone who has found something more interesting than sex."
Edgar Wallace.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
November 13, 2009 09:30AM
In reference to the first European sighting, and naming, of the mountain by Captain James Cook aboard HMS Resolution in 1778:

‘Climbers who have had experience on Mount Fairweather are inclined to feel that Cook was the last person to see the peak.’

--- David Bohn
(in the Sierra Club Exhibit Format Series book “GLACIER BAY / The Land and the Silence”)
November 13, 2009 04:00PM
"So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave." -Malcolm Reynolds
November 13, 2009 04:42PM
"Quantum Mechanics: the dreams stuff is made of."
November 13, 2009 04:43PM
What we see is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our particular method of questioning.
—Werner Heisenberg

-- Carl Sagan
November 13, 2009 04:50PM
"Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself." -- Richard Feynman
November 13, 2009 04:49PM
"Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy." - H.L. Mencken
November 13, 2009 05:13PM
There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California.

---Edward Abbey

-- Carl Sagan
November 13, 2009 05:23PM
“There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them!”
--Richard Feynman
November 13, 2009 08:22PM
"There's not a lot of difference between a gold miner and a jackass; and that's not speaking kindly of the jackass". Mark Twaine (from his own experience).

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2009 08:22PM by tomdisco.
November 14, 2009 07:56AM
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."

--- Carl Sagan ( from his keynote address at the CSICOP conference, 1987)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2009 07:57AM by szalkowski.
November 15, 2009 12:36AM
“Please Show Respect Whatever Reason Here You May Be.”

--- Author unknown to me
(faded, hand-lettered sign on a weathered wooden plaque standing at the entrance to the Pet Cemetery in the Presidio of San Francisco)

A few of the markers therein, reproduced verbatim:

“Here lies some
Great hamsters”

“Mr. Bird
a canary
and
Bilbo Baggin
white mouse
Loved pets of
the
DeYoung
children”

“Frieda &
Phred
Finch
Heather &
Brandon’s
Bird”
November 15, 2009 10:48AM
When making a decision of minor importance, I have always found it advantageous to consider all the pros and cons. In vital matters, however, such as the choice of a mate or a profession, the decision should come from the unconscious, from somewhere within ourselves. In the important decisions of personal life, we should be governed, I think, by the deep inner needs of our nature.

- Freud
November 15, 2009 03:56PM
Courage is like a muscle.We strengthen it with use. ~Ruth Gordon
November 17, 2009 02:12PM
"If you have to eat two frogs, eat the big one first." -Michael Levine
November 17, 2009 08:39PM
If you eat a toad first thing in the morning nothing worse will happen for the rest of the day....Anon

Old Dude
November 18, 2009 07:44AM
From the immortal Mark Twain, commenting (in his book, Roughing It) about Washoe (the Carson City area and just north of there, Washoe City)

This was all we saw that day, for it was two o'clock, now, and according to custom the daily "Washoe Zephyr" set in; a soaring dust-drift about the size of the United States set up edgewise came with it, and the capital of Nevada Territory disappeared from view. Still, there were sights to be seen which were not wholly uninteresting to newcomers; for the vast dust-cloud was thickly freckled with things strange to the upper air - things living and dead, that flitted hither and thither, going and coming, appearing and disappearing among the rolling billows of dust - hats, chickens, and parasols sailing in the remote heavens; blankets, tin signs, sage-brush, and shingles a shade lower; door-mats and buffalo-robes lower still; shovels and coal-scuttles on the next grade; glass doors, cats, and little children on the next; disrupted lumber yards, light buggies, and wheelbarrows on the next; and down only thirty or forty feet above ground was a scurrying storm of emigrating roofs and vacant lots.

It was something to see that much. I could have seen more, if I could have kept the dust out of my eyes.

But, seriously, a Washoe wind is by no means a trifling matter. It blows flimsy houses down, lifts shingle roofs occasionally, rolls up tin ones like sheet music, now and then blows a stage-coach over and spills the passengers; and tradition says the reason there are so many bald people there is, that the wind blows the hair off their heads while they are looking skyward after their hats. Carson streets seldom look inactive on summer afternoons, because there are so many citizens skipping around their escaping hats, like chambermaids trying to head off a spider.

The "Washoe Zephyr" is a peculiarly Scriptural wind, in that no man knoweth "whence it cometh." That is to say, where it originates. It comes right over the mountains from the West, but when one crosses the ridge he does not find any of it on the other side! It probably is manufactured on the mountaintop for the occasion, and starts from there. It is a pretty regular wind, in the summer-time. Its office-hours are from two in the afternoon till two the next morning; and anybody venturing abroad during those twelve hours needs to allow for the wind or he will bring up a mile or two to leeward of the point he is aiming at. And yet the first complaint a Washoe visitor to San Francisco makes, is that the sea-winds blow so, there! There is a good deal of human nature in that.
November 18, 2009 08:58AM
"Music and the mountains; they're the greatest."

--- Jules Eichorn
November 18, 2009 11:15AM
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 18, 2009 11:34AM
chick-on
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

That might depend on the bird.
November 18, 2009 01:21PM
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word. - The Trashmen, "Surfin Bird"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZThquH5t0ow

An honest man is always a child - Socrates.

November 18, 2009 09:54PM
Chickon Boo, this is a choice of music from you this Burro has not yet seen....

eye rolling smiley

Might as well share a quote:

"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." - R. Feynman
November 18, 2009 10:20PM
For the old farts I guess they could just go with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UV3kRV46Zs

But here's my hero:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHXXZwfGrP4

And keeping with the thread:
"You are what you eat" - (which makes me a Deep Fried Twinkie! Yum Yum!)

November 18, 2009 11:05PM
"God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools."

John Muir
November 19, 2009 06:44PM
You don't take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
November 19, 2009 07:26PM
"The parks do not belong to one state or to one section.... The Yosemite, the Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon are national properties in which every citizen has a vested interest; they belong as much to the man of Massachusetts, of Michigan, of Florida, as they do to the people of California, of Wyoming, and of Arizona."

Stephen T. Mather
November 19, 2009 07:28PM
"It is the will of the nation as embodied in the act of Congress [in setting aside the Yosemite government reservation in 1864] that this scenery shall never be private property, but that like certain defensive points upon our coast it shall be solely for public purposes."

Frederick Law Olmsted
November 19, 2009 10:11PM
eeek
"It is the will of the nation as embodied in the act of Congress [in setting aside the Yosemite government reservation in 1864] that this scenery shall never be private property, but that like certain defensive points upon our coast it shall be solely for public purposes."

Frederick Law Olmsted

Wording similar to this saved Mono Lake and Lake Tahoe
November 20, 2009 01:41AM
What was Lake Tahoe saved from? My history is remiss on this one. Water use for people elsewhere? It certainly was not saved from developement.

Jim
November 20, 2009 01:44AM
tomdisco
What was Lake Tahoe saved from? My history is remiss on this one. Water use for people elsewhere? It certainly was not saved from developement.

Jim

Nor saved from crowding.
November 19, 2009 11:40PM
"Planetary Awareness Rocks."

~~~~ me.
November 24, 2009 03:01PM
"Anything wrong with using the trail?"

--- eeek
November 24, 2009 07:27PM
Better slather on the bug repellent.

Old Dude
December 21, 2009 11:35PM
"To go where no (wo)man has been before" (in response to the above quote by Len & the wordy pink reproduction down below)

B

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 11:37PM by Bee.
November 24, 2009 09:19PM
Lettuce be mas blatant:

"Is there an official (or unofficial) way of getting to the top of El Cap hiking west from the top of the Yosemite Falls trail. One resource casually mentioned "Hike west toward El Cap from the top of the Yosemite Fall trail", but once again, the two trail books that I have do not mention this junction. I asked someone about it in the valley, and he mentioned that there was an "unimproved" gravelly trail that went to El Cap. Anyone know?"

B

"The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind" - Peter, Paul and Mary

or just here:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,7451,page=1

November 25, 2009 06:44AM
chick-on
Lettuce be mas blatant:

"Is there an official (or unofficial) way of getting to the top of El Cap hiking west from the top of the Yosemite Falls trail. One resource casually mentioned "Hike west toward El Cap from the top of the Yosemite Fall trail", but once again, the two trail books that I have do not mention this junction. I asked someone about it in the valley, and he mentioned that there was an "unimproved" gravelly trail that went to El Cap. Anyone know?"

B

"The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind" - Peter, Paul and Mary

or just here:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,7451,page=1

eeek,
Your quotes thread just got hijacked!
Jim
December 01, 2009 07:23AM
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

November 28, 2009 01:57AM
"Big whorls have little whorls
Which feed on their velocity,
And little whorls have lesser whorls
And so on to viscosity."

--- Lewis F. Richardson

[Musings on a riverbank?]
November 28, 2009 03:23PM
As selfishness and complaint pervert the mind, so love with its joy clears and sharpens the vision.
(i.e. Love the Bird)

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
(i.e. Love the Bird)

Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content.
(i.e. Love the Bird)

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.
(i.e. The Bird kicks booty)

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.
(i.e. Love the Bird)

It is hard to interest those who have everything in those who have nothing.

It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui.
(i.e. Love the Bird)

Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.

All of these quotes - Helen Keller
November 29, 2009 06:03PM
All sorts of computer errors are now turning up. You'd be surprised to know the number of doctors who claim they are treating pregnant men.
--Isaac Asimov
November 29, 2009 06:36PM
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
--Isaac Asimov
November 30, 2009 07:26AM
“Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!” - Leonardo

“Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?” - Bob Marley

"One way to open your eyes is to ask yourself, 'What if I had never seen this before? What if I knew I would never see it again?'”
“Its marvelous what you can see when you open your eyes.”

"If you open your eyes you will see much more than a pink bird."
December 01, 2009 06:26PM
“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.”

Charles Dickens
December 01, 2009 09:16PM
When a man's best friend is his dog, that dog has a problem.
---Edward Abbey

-- Carl Sagan
December 01, 2009 10:03PM
"Why did the chick-on cross the road?"

December 01, 2009 10:12PM
chick-on

Because Table Lake was on the other side.
December 02, 2009 06:23AM
eeek
chick-on

Because Table Lake was on the other side.

Brilliant. Although I was going to get that Twinkie bill-e-g dropped.
He can go to Loch Tablae himself. That's way too far and it's
hot there and dusty and the water isn't nice and there are big fishy
in the lake with sharp nasty teeths and those lilly pads will
jump and bite you and don't mention rattlesnakes o boy don't
even go there there will be h-e-double tootpicks to pay and the
rocks are dirty and brown instead of a whiteish tone where is
that glacier when I need it. O, did I mention it's really far and
there are these big huge moundy things in between I mean
we're in the mountains but heck I want a flat trail can't they
just get a grader in here or something maybe some cables
up the Piute it'd be much easier than going way up and then
dropping down geez who the heck came up with that crazy idea
and switch what! don't everyone know the straightest line
between two points aint dat.. Mikey I'm with you big guy.
I got your back or at least can you take me out of this pack
this guy is killing me!

(ok, the thread is hijacked now... dang I wish I could sticky
that "How to get to El Cap" thread to the top)

At least I got that bear outta Tahoe.

Chickon Boo

December 02, 2009 06:43AM
"You will always be able to count your best friends on one hand".
December 02, 2009 07:13AM
"With friends like this, who needs enemies?"
December 03, 2009 05:11PM
"On a clear disk you can seek forever."
December 08, 2009 06:49PM
I began taking pictures in the natural world to be able to show people what I was experiencing when I climbed and explored in Yosemite in the High Sierra.
--Galen Rowell
December 09, 2009 09:47PM
"Garden flowers grow larger, but field flowers grow stronger."
December 11, 2009 11:51AM
"You know you're old when... o crap.. I forgot" - Old Dude Mike
December 11, 2009 12:21PM
bill-e-g
"You know you're old when...

you keep seeing Pink Chickens.
[Advanced stage of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seeing_pink_elephants]
--- Anon.

(signed)
The Beaks
December 12, 2009 09:56AM
I don’t want a bunch of chicken hanging around.
--- Diane Lane’s character in the movie “Must Love Dogs”

(Very testily telling the butcher at the supermarket why she only wants a single chicken breast and not a whole fryer: ‘Look, I’m divorced. I eat alone. Usually standing over the sink. I don’t want a bunch of chicken hanging around.’
The out-of-context quote in the light of the YN&DF... Priceless!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2009 10:46AM by szalkowski.
December 20, 2009 01:48PM
"If God had intended man to fly, He would not have invented Spanish Air Traffic Control."
—David Lister
December 22, 2009 08:09AM
"Nothing builds confidence better than experience" - not sure who said it but I like it
December 25, 2009 05:12PM
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.
--George Carlin
December 30, 2009 11:22AM
"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails."
—John Maxwell
January 02, 2010 11:16AM
"The study of non-linear physics is like the study of non-elephant biology."
—Stanislaw Ulam
January 05, 2010 04:42AM
Don't believe everything that you think.

---- Unknown (seen on a bumper sticker near UC Berkeley)
January 05, 2010 07:07AM
"What do 4 brown kiwis and 2 black kiwis have in common?"
January 05, 2010 07:20AM
They're flightless birds?

Old Dude
January 05, 2010 07:40AM
bill-e-g

Dat EZ. "Dey aint no Chick-on"

January 05, 2010 12:51PM
bill-e-g

All have I.Q.s in the 140-160 range.
January 05, 2010 04:44PM
“You cannot create experience. You must undergo it.”
—Albert Camus
January 10, 2010 07:24PM
"I don't think I could shoot a deer. Quayle, that's something else again. "
—George H. W. Bush in "Who is Dan Quayle?"
January 24, 2010 02:43AM
I'm not insane! My mother had me tested!
—Sheldon
January 24, 2010 03:28PM
There's no place like 192.0.0.1!

-- my bumpersticker. smiling smiley
February 09, 2012 01:03PM
AlmostThere

Haha... mine is "My other car is a cdr"
February 09, 2012 02:13PM
mbear
AlmostThere

Haha... mine is "My other car is a cdr"

Shouldn't that be "There's no place like 127.0.0.1!" ?
February 09, 2012 03:14PM
AlmostThere

Shouldn't that be 127.0.0.1?
February 04, 2010 02:22PM
"I try to live by this simple rule: Complicate things."
—Paula Poundstone
February 05, 2010 09:44AM
Can anyone lend me
Two eighty-pound rats?
I want to rid my house of cats.

---Shel Silverstein ( the poem "DRATS" from his book "Where the Sidewalk Ends" )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2010 04:41PM by szalkowski.
February 06, 2010 02:16PM
"Your limit is the thing you did just before the one that killed you."
Anonymous

Old Dude
February 08, 2010 11:20PM
How are two Ding Dongs tomorrow going to help me today?
—Howard Wolowitz
February 09, 2010 08:45AM
eeek
How are two Ding Dongs tomorrow going to help me today?
—Howard Wolowitz

Ewe nose there is hope for tomorrow.

February 13, 2010 04:04PM
Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all of its students.
February 14, 2010 08:55AM
eeek
Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all of its students.

Time is nature's way of preventing everything from happening at once.
Swami Salami 2004
March 11, 2010 09:50PM
Europeans only used half as much energy per dollar of GDP, and it was clear that their lifestyle was as good as ours.
--- Arthur H. Rosenfeld (California Energy Commission, The Los Angeles Times, 11 January, 2010)
March 20, 2010 07:51PM
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.
—M.C. Escher
March 20, 2010 10:14PM
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness" -Aristotle
March 20, 2010 10:27PM
Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy, but it's very funny - Did you ever try buying then without money?
—Ogden Nash
March 22, 2010 06:58PM
"I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns to its original trajectory and adheres to you."
—Sheldon Cooper
March 22, 2010 08:34PM
I believe that every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
—Neil Armstrong
March 24, 2010 09:42PM
"You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get OLD!"

Nathan Burnbaum

(better known as George Burns)
April 10, 2010 06:13PM
The sciences do not try to explain, they hardly even try to interpret, they mainly make models. By a model is meant a mathematical construct which, with the addition of certain verbal interpretations, describes observed phenomena. The justification of such a mathematical construct is solely and precisely that it is expected to work.
---- John von Neumann
April 10, 2010 06:19PM
Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
—John von Neumann
April 10, 2010 06:22PM
Although I'm regarded as a dangerous radical by particle physicists for proposing that there may be loss of quantum coherence, I'm definitely a conservative compared to Roger.
—Stephen Hawking
April 16, 2010 08:56PM
"If the devil were set at liberty and told to confine himself to Nevada Territory, he would get homesick and go back to hell again."
—Mark Twain (with thanks to Roger Ebert for posting it tonight)
April 17, 2010 10:14AM
The problem with some people is that when they aren't drunk, they're sober.
—William Butler Yeats

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
—Dean Martin
April 21, 2010 03:17PM
"To understand something means to derive it from quantum mechanics, which nobody understands."
—Proverbial among physicists
April 22, 2010 01:41PM
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of entusiasm"----Winston Churchill.

"An actuary is someone who wanted to be an acountant but didn't have enough personality".---unknown
April 22, 2010 08:55PM
"Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch"
—Sheldon Cooper
April 25, 2010 03:03PM
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
—Steven Wright
April 25, 2010 05:10PM
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
—Anonymous
April 25, 2010 05:22PM
eeek
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
—Anonymous

Reminds me of the oddball movie I once saw called "They Shoot Horses Don't They?". At the end my date and I looked rather dumbfounded at one another while I realized I just wasted the price of admission. Walked out shaking our heads, which was probably the intent of the movie.
April 27, 2010 12:14PM
Everybody is somebody else’s weirdo.
—Anonymous
April 27, 2010 02:11PM
Linux: because rebooting is for adding new hardware.
—Anonymous
February 09, 2012 12:59PM
eeek
Linux: because rebooting is for adding new hardware.
—Anonymous

Head roll
May 24, 2010 08:00PM
It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment.
—Ansel Adams
June 06, 2010 05:41PM
Travel is fatal to prejudice.
—Mark Twain
June 08, 2010 07:22PM
I drove my car until the day of wreckoning.
—Anonymous
June 09, 2010 01:10AM
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy also talks about love. It says, Avoid if at all possible."
June 09, 2010 07:51PM
eeek
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy also talks about love. It says, Avoid if at all possible."
And don't forget your towel.
June 09, 2010 06:46PM
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
—J. R. R. Tolkien
June 17, 2010 02:49PM
"I need to stop questioning myself... right?"
—Anonymous
June 19, 2010 07:41PM
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse."
—Humphrey Bogart
June 22, 2010 06:42PM
What would you do if you weren't afraid?
--- From the book "Who Moved My Cheese"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 06:42PM by szalkowski.
June 22, 2010 06:50PM
God is an iron.
—Spider Robinson
July 05, 2010 07:29PM
Ishmael: Is it real? Do you see it, too?
The Manxman: We all see it. That don't make it real, necessarily.

--- From Herman Melville's "Moby Dick"
July 06, 2010 01:51PM
“Parents who are always giving their children nothing but the best usually wind up with nothing but the worst”
—Anonymous
July 07, 2010 05:18PM
"It's Not The Heat It's the Stupidity"
—Anonymous
July 07, 2010 07:27PM
Everyone complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.
Mark Twain.
July 24, 2010 03:45PM
"You are not entitled to your opinion, schmuck; You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion!"
—Harlan Ellison
September 21, 2010 12:14AM
"It's called Freedom, not Free Dumb."
—Anonymous
September 30, 2010 07:31PM
"I am very fond of truth, but not at all of martyrdom." —Voltaire
February 01, 2011 10:43PM
When the water reaches the upper deck, follow the rats.
---Claude Swanson ( http://lawsoflife.co.uk/swansons-law/ )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 10:44PM by szalkowski.
February 11, 2011 07:30AM
When releasing grizzlies, point them away from you.
--- Frank Craighead (a pioneer of modern radio-collaring techniques for wildlife research)
February 11, 2011 09:14AM
unidentifed phone repairman:

'i didn't think Orientals had a sense of humor'

Sgt. Nick Yemana:

'are you kidding...we invented gunpowder'
February 11, 2011 07:54PM
In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
--Thomas à Kempis
February 11, 2011 10:20PM
“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”
April 22, 2011 07:14PM
"We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive." —Albert Einstein
April 26, 2011 06:22PM
A journey of a thousand miles begins with Dad saying, "I know a shortcut."
June 06, 2011 07:04PM
"When I was your age, we had to dial to get online." —Anonymous
June 23, 2011 08:45PM
You were doing well until everyone died.
— "God", Futurama
June 29, 2011 01:31PM
I'd rather have friends who care than friends who agree with me.

Arlo Guthrie
July 04, 2011 09:58PM
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment.
— Ansel Adams
July 06, 2011 05:12PM
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
--- Charles Darwin

One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.
---Bertrand Russell

[Note: the above quotes have been lifted from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
Any perceived application that they may have to steadfast, isolated positions being promulgated in some recent Yos. News & Disc. threads is made at the reader's own risk.]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2011 05:16PM by szalkowski.
July 30, 2011 08:02PM
If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
--- Rev. Henry Ward Beecher
[Preface to the book "Bird Brains/The Intelligence of Crows, Ravens, Magpies, and Jays"]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 08:03PM by szalkowski.
August 03, 2011 07:21PM
When you open a can of evaporated milk, why is there still milk in the can?
August 03, 2011 07:38PM
"Boys, I may not know much, but I know chicken poop from chicken salad.” — Lyndon B. Johnson
August 04, 2011 04:04PM
I think the biggest difference between England and America is that England has history, and America has geography. In England, you can find whatever you need as long as you’re willing to go back far enough, or go and find out when it happened. In America you can find whatever you need just as long as you’re prepared to drive far enough.

— Neil Gaiman
September 30, 2011 01:41PM
What does not kill me, makes me stronger.
--- Friedrich Nietzsche (Twilight of the Idols, 1888)
September 30, 2011 09:51PM
Why level downward to our dullest perception always,and praise that as common sense?--- H.D. Thoreau
February 08, 2012 02:46PM
Youth is easily deceived because it is quick to hope. — Aristotle
February 09, 2012 12:51PM
You could write a law and think it's correct, and then you'd publish a bunch of papers, and eventually you'd realize that your parents are the only ones reading them and then you'd know that you were wrong. Now, on the other hand, if your friends are reading your papers, your enemies are reading your papers, and then your enemies are stealing what you've written in your papers, then you'll know that your law is correct. --- Ramamurti Shankar (physicist)
February 09, 2012 12:53PM
If you put your hand on a hot plate, you should say ‘Wow, these molecules are fast!’. That’s what I want you to say from now on, not ‘Ouch!!' --- Ramamurti Shankar
April 16, 2012 10:25AM
Yosemite Valley, to me, is always a sunrise, a glitter of green and golden wonder in a vast edifice of stone and space.
—Ansel Adams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2012 10:26AM by eeek.
October 02, 2012 04:08PM
The news is disease in disguise, pretending to be information.
—Vanna Bonta
October 04, 2012 09:42AM
“Ray, what you got to do is go climb a mountain...”

– Jack Kerouac
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login