Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hwy 41 vs. 140 which to take?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hwy 41 vs. 140 which to take?
May 23, 2007 03:56PM
I'm coming from L.A. Thurs. nite to beat the traffic so I can make the tour from Yosemite Lodge at 8am Fri. I've heard of people waiting for 3 hrs. NOT on a holiday weekend, just to get in the park. The guy at the Lodge suggested 140 because there are no RV's allowed-but he didn't really know what would be best. Please if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great!

avatar Re: Hwy 41 vs. 140 which to take?
May 23, 2007 04:38PM
I've seen some lines but never 3 hours and you certainly won't have trouble at night. Going to 140 would probably add at least an hour of travel time.

May 23, 2007 04:57PM
Not to mention possible delays at the one-way control light on the 140 detour. I was waiting there up to maybe 10 minutes each way last Feb. It wasn't crowded, so I don't know if the lines there would get long enough that you might need to wait longer than one green light. I'm taking 120 this June, which probably isn't a viable option coming from Southern California.

May 24, 2007 01:28AM
140 has the one-way control around the rockslide but so far for me it hasn't been a problem, then again haven't visited since Feb...

Hwy 41 will be crowded because of the 140 detour, might think outside the canyon and accept the 140...LOL

Plus you can help out those along the 140 recover from last year's devastating slide by buying maybe a pizza up or back and some souvenirs.
May 24, 2007 02:41PM
Hwy 41 thru Fresno is the way to go. If you have time stop by here:
http://www.chukchansigold.com/ ( between Fresno and Yosemite)
This place has great food and worth a stop. I don't gamble, just eat.
May 25, 2007 07:22AM
The 140 (El Portal) entrance can get backed up because it just has the one toll station (although if there's a long line they ask who has a season pass and wave you around-nice bonus!). Wawona has 2 or 3, right? 140 is arguably the prettiest though-along the river the whole time!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login