All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hume Lake
May 24, 2007 12:15AM
What is the swimming like at Hume Lake (in Sequoia)? Is it suitable for small children? Is there a walk-in type beach area? Are there bathrooms? A parking lot? Any info would be appreciated - thanks.
May 24, 2007 01:23AM
Hume Lake is owned by a Christian organization. Please visit humelake.org for more information.

I am not associated with them at all. I'm just a big fan of Kings Canyon and have visited Hume Lake only once on my way to Sequoia and it seemed liked a nice diversion off the main road.

You can camp around Hume Lake without professing any religious allegiance. It is a pretty place.

If memory serves, the lake was created to assist the logging interests many years ago. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with the lake now.

If you're going to Hume Lake, might as well go to Cedar Grove and Road's End. You will not be disappointed.
May 24, 2007 02:35AM
Yes, it was used for supplying a flume for moving logs. That stopped after a fire.

May 24, 2007 07:50AM
Vince wrote:

> Hume Lake is owned by a Christian organization. Please visit
> humelake.org for more information.

That's just the Hume Lake Christian Camp. I don't think they own or lease the whole lake, although they have a sprawling complex on the west side of the lake. Their land doesn't seem to have any campground (tent or RV) area.

> I am not associated with them at all. I'm just a big fan of
> Kings Canyon and have visited Hume Lake only once on my way to
> Sequoia and it seemed liked a nice diversion off the main road.
>
> You can camp around Hume Lake without professing any religious
> allegiance. It is a pretty place.

Well - Hume Lake Campground is on the north side of the lake. I'm pretty sure it's a Forest Service owned campground, and it's managed by California Land Management (operates a lot of Forest Service campgrounds in California and Nevada).

http://www.recreation.gov/ca/Hume_Lake/Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?agency=NRRS&parkId=1547
Re: Hume Lake
May 24, 2007 07:54AM
Here's a Flickr search of Hume Lake, there's at least one picture of boys playing in the water.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=%22hume+lake%22+sequoia&m=text

Water is pretty darn cold in the mountains, but I've seen kids play in the SF bay for an hour when I can barely stick my toes in, so I guess anything's possible.

Post Edited (05-24-07 09:56)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login