Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Roads

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite Roads
May 29, 2007 05:55AM
Hello,

I'm planning on visiting the Yosemite area from Scotland, arriving on 16 June. In particular I'm hoping to stay in Mariposa and travel to the park early on June 17 to hike up the half dome.

Can anyone fill me in on road status and opening times? I have read a couple of hiking reviews and they have mentioned they have had to wait for the park to open in the morning but I can't find any times on the park website. Also, do the roads through the park (in particular highway 120 from Mammoth Lakes to El Portal) close at night? I'd be travelling along this road late at night.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Paul
May 29, 2007 08:37AM
It's been a low snowfall year and all park roads should already be open. I don't know about waiting for the entrance stations to open. My experience is that when the entrance stations aren't open, you can just go through (they're not gated) and pay the next time you enter. At least that's what I saw at the Arch Rock (Hwy 140) entrance station when I entered at about 8 PM.

I've seen one park (Arches NP) in the NPS system that has an electronic pay stations for after-hours entrance. When I asked about what to do if I already paid, they said it was alright if I already had a valid pass or paid admission earlier.

May 29, 2007 09:39AM
May 29, 2007 09:42AM
bairn7 wrote:

> Can anyone fill me in on road status and opening times? I have
> read a couple of hiking reviews and they have mentioned they
> have had to wait for the park to open in the morning but I
> can't find any times on the park website.

No, there are no opening times. (The one exception being Hetch Hetchy since 9/11.)

> Also, do the roads
> through the park (in particular highway 120 from Mammoth Lakes
> to El Portal) close at night?

No, they're open 24 hours a day.

Re: Yosemite Roads
May 29, 2007 10:17AM
I think you pay when you exit the park if there is no one at the entrance station when you arrive. You usually have to show your receipt or Parks Pass in order to exit the park, or else you pay the fee upon exit (save your receipt if you paid when entering!).

Be careful driving on Tioga Road 120 in the dark! Make sure you are well acclimated to the high altitude before attempting to hike to the top of Half Dome, it's quite an elevation gain, and you're starting at 4,000 feet to begin with.

Good luck, let us know if you have any other questions!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login