Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Olympic National Park elk poacher fined $2,500 for killing trophy bull

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Olympic National Park elk poacher fined $2,500 for killing trophy bull
January 26, 2010 03:56PM
A poacher was ordered to pay a $2,500 fine and sentenced to three years probation and the loss of hunting privileges for the same length of time after pleading guilty to illegally killing a trophy elk in a national park in 2007.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2010/01/national-park-elk-poacher.html
avatar Re: Olympic National Park elk poacher fined $2,500 for killing trophy bull
January 27, 2010 12:52AM
That was a 7 point bull, which would be huge. There are hundreds of Tule Elk at Point Reyes Nat'l Seashore, and the largest bull that I saw was a huge 6 point, so I can only imagine how much larger the poached elk was. The only thing remotely positive that I can say is at least the hunter used what I consider the only honorable hunting weapon -- a bow and arrow (really, how much of a challenge IS it to use a high powered rifle with a scope??) (I am not anti-gun; I own several rifles and handguns, however, I believe that there should be some sport in the pursuit of game, but I digress)

B
avatar Re: Olympic National Park elk poacher fined $2,500 for killing trophy bull
January 27, 2010 02:24AM
I couldn't shoot an animal for sport, but I digress as well. At least this one didn't get away.
January 27, 2010 05:03AM

I applaud the court for penalizing Hurst for his actions, but the fine seems paltry, considering the time and effort put into the investigation by all agencies involved. Poachers steal resources belonging to others, with potentially damaging consequences, and they tarnish the image of legitimate hunters and conservationists.

My impression also. $2500 is about the typical pre-slaughter value of mature cattle, I believe. Some poaching is sheer ignorance of property lines and regulations. However, other poachers just see laws and limits as minor and arbitrary government obstacles to "the hunt"-- just another challenge to making a good shot. Possibly the same people who would shoplift in a store under the impression that it is a challenge to take something without getting caught. These folks rarely have any remorse for their actions.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login