Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mt Diablo or......... Mt. Reagan

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Mt Diablo or......... Mt. Reagan
January 28, 2010 08:01PM
(How about Ronnie's Roost?)

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_14284156?nclick_check=1

Man's view on Mount Diablo: Rename it for the Gipper
By Matthias Gafni
Contra Costa Times

Still upset over the devilish connotations of Mount Diablo, an Oakley man has again petitioned a federal agency to rename Contra Costa County's signature peak.

This time he wants to rename the 3,849-foot-high mountain for the 40th president of the United States — Ronald Wilson Reagan....

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Mt Diablo or......... Mt. Reagan
January 28, 2010 08:02PM
Trading one devil for another? Doesn't seem worth it.
Re: Mt Diablo or......... Mt. Reagan
January 28, 2010 08:29PM
Will never fly to call any summit of significance in the very liberal San Francisco Bay Area after Reagan or any other Republican. Already today that news story on SFGate.com has a long list of ridiculing comments left by readers. I do like the idea of changing the name as I am not a fan of the Devil. Note the whole interior Coast Range from Mount Diablo south to Pacheco Pass is called the Diablo Range, so even if that summit's name was changed, there would be alot of devil left over. I'm also not a fan of naming yet another prominent peak for a recent politician. More to my liking would be a name of the original native people who lived on those lands before the Spanish came in then subjugated those simple humans into being their workforce of an immense state wide cattle hide tanning business. Actually other Europeans during the Goldrush were far worse towards native peoples and together the two historic episodes leave a foul disgusted taste in this caucasion's mouth. The two tribes about Mount Diablo were the Miwok on the north and the Yokuts on the south. Note both those tribes inhabited considerably larger areas of central California much of which was in sight of that mountain and lived so relatively peacefully for centuries without destroying the natural environments like my relatives.

http://www.californiaprehistory.com/tribmap.html

The mountain itself is actually two quite distinct summits so it would be appropriate to call one Mount Miwok and the other Mount Yokut. For those that have GoogleEarth take a look. Otherwise drive up on the Morgan Territories road between Livermore and Clayton.

David Senesac
http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2010 08:37PM by DavidSenesac.
January 29, 2010 09:25AM
WHUT?! (say it isn't so!!)
January 29, 2010 10:41AM
I would note that Mount McKinley is still the official name listed with the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, although the National Park Service renamed the park Denali and Alaska Board of Geographic Names similarly changed it on their list.

I think this guy is a crackpot. I'm thinking that there already have been calls to rename certain federal areas. There's Devil's Tower in Wyoming, Hell's Canyon in Idaho/Oregon, and The Devil's Garden at Arches NP in Utah.
January 29, 2010 10:55AM
And closer to home:
Devil's Dance Floor, Yosemite.
Devil's Punch Bowl, Oakland
Devil's Slide, US 1 San Mateo County
et cetera, et cetera, et cetera
I'm sure there are some fundamentalist twisting in the wind over this stuff.
(there are lot's of Hell's too)

Old Dude
January 29, 2010 10:52AM
A more fitting tribute to RR would be the renaming of the high point in his home state of Illinois, currently called Charles Mound.

At an elevation of 1235 ft. above sea level and, more significantly, an elevation differential of about 270 ft. above the surrounding landscape, it certainly has the appropriate stature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 10:52AM by szalkowski.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login