Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (87% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Hundreds of Quakes Are Rattling Yellowstone

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Hundreds of Quakes Are Rattling Yellowstone
January 31, 2010 09:33PM
In the last two weeks, more than 100 mostly tiny earthquakes a day, on average, have rattled a remote area of Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, putting scientists who monitor the park’s strange and volatile geology on alert.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/science/01yellowstone.html?src=twt&twt=nytimesscience
avatar Re: Hundreds of Quakes Are Rattling Yellowstone
January 31, 2010 10:32PM
Reasonable or not, it seems reassuring that there are small tremors rather than fewer but larger events. Geologists on the Geyser-gazer list seem to think that this sort of activity is shifting of magma rather than tectonic movement along fault lines, if I recall the discussion of a similar situation last year. The cataclysmic event implied in the article was not "tens" of thousands, but "hundreds" of thousands of years ago probably. About "tens" of thousands of years ago, Yellowstone was covered with glacial ice, most likely.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2010 10:37PM by Frank Furter.
avatar Re: Hundreds of Quakes Are Rattling Yellowstone
January 31, 2010 10:35PM
Frank Furter
Reasonable or not, it seems reassuring that there are small tremors rather than fewer but larger events. Geologists on the Geyser-gazer list seem to think that this sort of activity is shifting of magma rather than tectonic movement along fault lines, if I recall the response to a similar situation last year.

I suspect the "tectonic movement along fault lines" line is mostly to reassure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login