Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Duct tape use 4,526: Repair plane after bear destroys it

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Duct tape use 4,526: Repair plane after bear destroys it
February 03, 2010 08:30PM
I am not sure if this has already been posted.....

Duct tape use 4,526: Repair plane after bear destroys it

Any geek worth his (or her) weight in salt will tell you that one of the most necessary tools for ad hoc repairs is duct tape. In fact, the one thing geeks don't use it for is to tape ducts. I've known people who have used duct tape to mount a hard drive, weather-proof a camera, build a cantenna, make ice skates, and affix a flash defuser for a camera.

But nothing my super-nerd friends have done compares with the story that comes to us via forums of ArmyParatrooper.org, where user lz_NorthPole shares this tale from the Alaskan wilderness.

A fisherman chartered a small plane to fly into the Alaskan backcountry for some fishing. The fisherman unwisely left fresh bait in the plane, which attracted a bear--this being bear country and all--and the animal then tore the airplane apart. The image you see above is the trashed plane.

But the charter pilot supposedly was a bad-ass. And like a bad-ass he wouldn't just let a bear get away with tearing up his airplane. No, this bad-ass--who must be a geek--called another pilot to ferry in new tires, sheet plastic, and three cases of duct tape.

lz_NorthPole claims the pilot applied the materials, flew the thing home, and arrived safely. I fervently hope he is not playing an early April Fools' joke, because this is the best use of duct tape I've seen in a long time.

avatar Re: Duct tape use 4,526: Repair plane after bear destroys it
February 03, 2010 08:43PM
I wonder what the FAA would say.
February 03, 2010 09:11PM
I think it was a marmot!

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
February 03, 2010 11:59PM
Frank Furter
I think it was a marmot!

A marmot and a drunk pilot? Yeah, that could do it!
February 03, 2010 08:58PM
He will probably have a hard time passing his annual inspection!
February 04, 2010 07:34AM
Actually, I don't see much difference between the taped plane and airplanes with fabric skins. O.K. for a flight home and out of trouble. It would obviously need to be replaced soon due to duck tape propensity to decay due to UV effects and delamination.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login