All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camp 4 in Yosemite
June 10, 2007 08:45AM
I'll be in Yosemite this weekend without campground reservations. I hear Camp 4 is a walk-up camp in Yosemite, that is first come/first serve. Does anyone know what time the reservation office for Camp 4 opens? and where in the park it is located? I want to get their as soon as it opens, b/c I hear it fills up incredibly fast. Any other info would be helpful.

Thanks;

Scott
Re: Camp 4 in Yosemite
June 10, 2007 08:58AM
When I stayed in Camp 4 a couple of years ago, there wasn't anyone manning the check-in kiosk when I arrived at night. There was a clipboard with a list of all of the sites in the camp. "Check in" meant finding a site on the list that had space (less than 6 people in the site already) and signing one's name on said list. I paid for the site the next morning when someone was working the kiosk.

So unless something has changed, you can arrive and check in whenever you like, provided there is space for you. The sites are shared, so be prepared to make some new friends in your site.

Camp 4 is located in the valley at the same place as the trailhead for upper Yosemie fall. It's on Northside Drive across the street from Yosemite Lodge. There is a parking lot for Camp 4, but keep in mind that you won't be able to drive up to your campsite, so be prepared to carry your equipment and supplies from the car to your site.
June 10, 2007 03:57PM
I use Camp 4 whenever in the valley during Sunday thru Thursday nights. But stay outside the park on the crowded weekends. Although each site can have multiple people assigned, the question is how many does a site have? If a site is totally vacant the answer is obvious. Thus most people choose a vacant site until doubling up becomes necessary. Without the park person in the kiosk who maintains the list, and without the site residents there at the time, it is usually impossible to know how many have are actually already there. All one sees are tents and sleeping bags. How many people in each tent? Well maybe one maybe six? But note the sites next to the parking lot are designated for multiple use by those arriving after hours. At $5 a night, Camp 4 is an incredible bargain that I only hope remains the case. At least it has a loud voice in the considerable climbing community to remain so. ...David

Post Edited (06-10-07 17:59)

http://www.davidsenesac.com
June 11, 2007 09:28AM
What's Camp 4 like when there are people? The only times I'm walked through it were in winter on the way to Upper Yosemite Fall Trail. The first time it was an unusually warm Dec, but I only saw one tent set up. Last Feb I saw a couple of tents, even though there was plenty of snow in the Valley. I met a group on Upper Yosemite Fall Trail who were staying in Camp 4. I asked what they did to stay warm, and they said they just wore a lot of clothes in their sleeping bags.

I hear that climbers treat Camp 4 as their "territory". I've seen pictures of climbing equipment laid out on the picnic tables.

I also understand that if Camp 4 is full, they'll sometimes refer campers to the Valley backpackers campground behind Upper Pines.

June 11, 2007 10:11AM
Here is a picture of Camp 4 at the end of June, 2005.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2carolyn/414978999/in/set-72157594577780871/

Here is a picture of the line of people waiting for a site in the morning
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2carolyn/414978952/in/set-72157594577780871/

If you arrive on a Sunday, you are probably more likely to get a spot because weekend people are leaving.

I really hope they don't refer overflow of Camp 4 to the backpacker's campground. That doesn't exactly seem fair. I don't know, I have conflicting feelings about it.

You could also look into other first-come first serve campgrounds, or Forest Service campgrounds in the Stanislaus National Forest on the way in (if you're coming from the West).

Post Edited (06-11-07 12:11)
June 11, 2007 10:59AM
letterknit wrote:

> I really hope they don't refer overflow of Camp 4 to the
> backpacker's campground. That doesn't exactly seem fair. I
> don't know, I have conflicting feelings about it.

This is what the Yosemite Association says about it (Sunnyside Walk-in = Camp 4):

http://www.yosemite.org/visitor/frequent-camp.htm#11

Can I stay at the Backpackers Campground?
The Valley, Tuolumne Meadows or Hetch Hetchy Backpackers Campgrounds are for those beginning or ending a wilderness trip. These campgrounds are not advertised to the general public. If persons are inquiring about staying in one of these campgrounds, PLEASE notify them of the following restrictions:
• Limit of one night stay directly before or after a wilderness trip.
• The person must have their wilderness permit in hand.
• Only backpacking-type equipment may be carried in: no coolers, large tents, etc.
• Walk-in only - no parking in campground.
• Also available to bus passengers and bikers after Sunnyside Walk-in Campground fills.

June 11, 2007 01:56PM
I'm an East Coaster in love with the West Coast. I'll be flying out tomorrow morning headed for San Fran, and eventually landing in Yosemite for a few days (third time in four years). Such a beautiful place. Thanks everyone for their quick responses, you've all been very helpful. I'll probably roll the dice hopeing for a cancelation at Lower/Upper/or North Pines first, and then move on to Camp 4. If no luck there, I'll consider Eek's post about tuolumne meadows and other walk up sites. Thanks Again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login