Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: boots

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

boots
February 05, 2010 01:57PM
Im heading back to the JMT in July and was wondering if wearing my La Sportiva Makalus would be more or less suicide. I have been trolling around REI and noted the Oboz, but kind of wanted to wear what I had, please note, I am still breaking them. Anything will help.
February 05, 2010 11:20PM
Your Makalus would be fine for the JMT but they are more of a boot then necessary. Do some 10-15 mile days in them between now and then and if you have no foot problems then go with them.

Old Dude
February 06, 2010 12:40PM
I agree with Mike - The Makalus are way more boot than you need. They had better be really broken in well as a blister will spoil your trip, especially if you are doing the whole JMT. I spent a fortune on boots and still my feet killed me. Then I realized I no longer carry 70 pound loads so now I go with what I call disposable boots. I get them light and comfy and throw them away when they fall apart every couple of years. I'm currently 2 years in on my Hi Tek Altitudes which REI was selling last year on their clearance site for 45 dollars. They are light and waterproof and require no break in. Still going strong with lots of goop repairs. I took my daughter and her boyfriend on the last 50 miles of the JMT last summer and they wore them right out of the box. All 3 of us were blistr free and comfy. I also like the waterproof merrills but they are a bit pricey. I always change to flip flops in camp and keep my feet dry.
February 06, 2010 07:51PM
Thanks. I think I'm going to tank the idea of using the Makalus, and use Vasque washatch..we will see how they work. On a side note, how many days would you figure for the JMT mammoth to happy isles section? I figured 5 days of good walking.
February 06, 2010 08:19PM
Five days would come out to about 12 miles a day or about 6-7 hours of hiking a day.
You'll need a place to stay once you reach Happy Isle or have your ride waiting. The valley can be crowded.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2010 08:20PM by mrcondron.
February 06, 2010 09:06PM
mrcondron
Five days would come out to about 12 miles a day or about 6-7 hours of hiking a day.
You'll need a place to stay once you reach Happy Isle or have your ride waiting. The valley can be crowded.

Backpackers Campground across the bridge from North Pines for $5/person. Even if it's crowded, it should be OK to double/triple up on a site.
February 06, 2010 11:11PM
y_p_w
mrcondron

Backpackers Campground across the bridge from North Pines for $5/person. Even if it's crowded, it should be OK to double/triple up on a site.

When is it ever crowded/busy compared to the rest of the valley?! It's a wonderful hidden secret. smiling smiley
February 07, 2010 12:25AM
Go to http://www.Trailspace.com and take a look under the heading of "Footwear" and the site will list boots AND the cheapest place to purchase them. A lightweight pair of boots has been my most important investment (I wear Vasque that I paid just under $100)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2010 12:36AM by Bee.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login