All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar After 100 Years, Are The Boy Scouts Still Relevant?
February 08, 2010 12:03PM
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2010/02/boy-scouts-at-100-years/all/1

After 100 Years, Are The Boy Scouts Still Relevant?

Today, February 8th, marks the centennial of Boy Scouts in America. Over the past century, more than 110 million boys, young men, moms and dads have been members of the BSA. However, with such a momentous celebration at-hand, the Boy Scouts, in many ways, are a struggling organization. At a time when shows like “Man Vs Wild” and “Survivorman” are experiencing immense popularity and global awareness of the environment is at a high, wouldn’t it make sense that an organization like the Boy Scouts would see a surge in enrollment? After all, the scouting program specializes in promoting survival skills and enjoyment of the outdoors as its biggest recruiting tools for boys and young men.....

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: After 100 Years, Are The Boy Scouts Still Relevant?
February 08, 2010 12:12PM
Since the hierarchy of the BSA discriminates against Atheists I cannot support them. They could teach young boys moral responsibilities and outdoor skills without the animosity towards those that don't fit into an ideal that's no longer ideal.
February 08, 2010 07:53PM
Dave
Since the hierarchy of the BSA discriminates against Atheists I cannot support them. They could teach young boys moral responsibilities and outdoor skills without the animosity towards those that don't fit into an ideal that's no longer ideal.

This has been a sticking point for me for the same reason but I've never let it prevent me from supporting all the other good things scouting promotes. On my frequent day hikes locally (in NC) I often run into groups of scouts on the trails. The simple fact that scouting has these kids engaged in outdoor activities instead of hunkered down in front of a TV or computer is a plus in my book.

It is unfortunate that scouts who are non-believers must adhere to a "Don't ask--Don't tell" practice in order to participate without discrimination or expulsion, but for most that might be the lesser evil provided they place a high value on everything else scouting has to offer. Is it right? Of course not. This goes all the way back to the creation of the Boy Scouts 100 years ago in England where part of the scout credo was to believe in god. Maybe someday this policy will change but I don't have high hopes of seeing that happen, especially here in the bible belt. Religions are almost always intolerent of and threatened by free thinkers. Taking it out on kids who want to be scouts is pathetic in this day and age.
February 08, 2010 08:01PM
In the Rockies, my impression is that Scouting has become an important and popular activity associated with the LDS Church.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
February 08, 2010 08:50PM
Frank Furter
In the Rockies, my impression is that Scouting has become an important and popular activity associated with the LDS Church.

It is the same here; there are actual LDS "ward" associated troops so that the same congregants are grouped within the troop (my LDS neighbor with the 7 kids explained this to me)

I have known so many Eagle Scouts that went on to be very successful individuals, so there is definitely something postive to be said about scouting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2010 08:53PM by Bee.
February 08, 2010 08:23PM
tomdisco
It is unfortunate that scouts who are non-believers must adhere to a "Don't ask--Don't tell" practice in order to participate without discrimination or expulsion, but for most that might be the lesser evil provided they place a high value on everything else scouting has to offer. Is it right? Of course not. This goes all the way back to the creation of the Boy Scouts 100 years ago in England where part of the scout credo was to believe in god. Maybe someday this policy will change but I don't have high hopes of seeing that happen, especially here in the bible belt. Religions are almost always intolerent of and threatened by free thinkers. Taking it out on kids who want to be scouts is pathetic in this day and age.

I personally think it's a problem with adults running the BSA who have taken a hard-line religious position rather than being inclusive. Other scouting organizations still have the belief in God in their mission principles, but they don't take a hard line against atheists and for all intensive purposes don't discriminate on the basis of atheism.

Some local scouting groups and BSA affiliated groups have tried to implement policies that don't discriminate on the basis of religious belief or sexual orientation. I think in every case the HQ in Texas threatened to revoke charters for any local groups that did so.
February 09, 2010 08:43AM
It's almost never the kids fault.

I am really interested in this flying spaghetti monster though.

Can't remember where I heard it but "we are all gods".

Scoutin' should teach kids to respect the wilderness and wilderness skills
and leave religion out of it unless it's just "the gods" made this... let's not screw it up for others.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login