Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Re: Lyell Fork to Merced

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Lyell Fork to Merced
June 12, 2007 04:00PM
In September three of us will be taking a trip starting at Tuolumne and ending up in the valley. We'll be heading down the Lyell Fork, then up to Vogelsang, and then down to Merced and out that way. Two questions about the route for those who are familiar with the area:

1. I understand there are campsites at the intersection of the JMT and the Vogelsang Trail heading up toward Ireland Lake, but are there any sites further up, more toward Ireland?

2. Which trail do you recommend from Vogelsang to Merced HSC--Fletcher Creek or Lewis Creek--and why?

Thanks!

June 12, 2007 09:16PM
QuailHiker wrote:

> 1. I understand there are campsites at the intersection of the
> JMT and the Vogelsang Trail heading up toward Ireland Lake, but
> are there any sites further up, more toward Ireland?

I asked a friend and though he was certain he did seem to think there were some campsites.

June 12, 2007 10:41PM
QH,
There are definitely campsites at the junction of the Lyell Canyon portion of the JMT and the trail to Ireland Lake. The portion of the trail that heads up to Ireland where it is close to Ireland Creek is pretty steep but there is always somewhere to pitch a tent if you look around. If you have it in you then go all the way to Ireland. Ireland hasn't had anybody there the times I've pitched there and you can cross country over to Townsley Lake and save three miles on the way to Vogelsang.

Lewis Creek vs Fletcher Creek is a toss-up although Lewis Creek has more stuff to look at along the way.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login