Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Re: NPS Uniform Program Update

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar NPS Uniform Program Update
February 18, 2010 11:44AM
The National Park Service uniform committee recently met to discuss complaints, potential changes, and policy in the uniform program. The meeting was held on the week of January 25th in Memphis, Tennessee.

During the week, the committee was able to travel to Henning, Tennessee, about an hour and half drive from Memphis, to tour the distribution center for NPS uniforms. Committee members were able to witness the process from the point when the orders come in to the point when uniforms leave the warehouse. In general, most items are out the door within three business days from the time the orders are received. It is a very complicated process. In fact, it is no easy task to supply all the items we need, customize them, and get them out the door in a timely manner.

The uniform committee decided to take the following actions for this fiscal year:
  • Add a trench coat to the program. The NPS has not had an overcoat in the uniform program since 2000. At that time, we carried a gray trench coat manufactured by London Fog. The trench coat was removed from the program because London Fog discontinued making them. Today, trench coats come in three standard colors - black, navy, and British tan. We have decided to go with a black trench coat. We will adopt the black trench coat currently being used by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The trench coat will only be authorized for superintendents, regional managers, and management within WASO.
  • Add cordovan shoe polish to the program. The official color of leather goods in NPS is cordovan. It is virtually impossible to find cordovan shoes today. As a result, the NPS changed its policy to allow brown or dark brown shoes with the understanding that employees would polish/dye them cordovan. This has not been done. One of the complaints was that employees could not find polish. We will provide cordovan polish that will allow employees to polish their shoes the correct color.
  • Add a better quality ball cap. Ball caps are primarily worn by our maintenance staff. During our meeting, it was requested that we provide a better quality cap. The one we currently provide is considered cheap and does not shape or conform well to the head. We have instructed the uniform company to research providing a better quality alternative.
  • Dual language nameplates. Currently, our two nameplates only allow the display of one foreign language. We have received requests from some employees who speak more than one foreign language to have the option of placing the second language on the nameplate. We have asked the uniform company to accommodate these requests.
Our goal is to implement these changes by the end of the fiscal year.
avatar Re: NPS Uniform Program Update
February 18, 2010 02:18PM
I was hoping they'd get rid of the skateboarder shorts for the ranger uniform and replace them with something better fitting. Sportif makes a great pair of shorts. I think the LE on bicycles gets to wear them.
February 18, 2010 02:44PM
I'm still busy trying to picture the black trench coat.
February 18, 2010 03:04PM
I'm also hoping that they have to wear something under them.

Old Dude
February 18, 2010 03:15PM
mrcondron
I'm also hoping that they have to wear something under them.

You planning on checking?
February 18, 2010 03:28PM
There might be one or two worthy of a check.

Old Dude
February 18, 2010 03:30PM
mrcondron
There might be one or two worthy of a check.

Could one of those be bribed with pizza?
February 18, 2010 03:33PM
Worker bees don't get the trench coat because they're in the trenches. Only bosses get them.

Old Dude
February 18, 2010 03:47PM
eeek
I'm still busy trying to picture the black trench coat.

Note the line: "The trench coat will only be authorized for superintendents, regional managers, and management within WASO."

So, unless you are one of them, you have to stand in the rain with no black trench coat.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login