Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Doing laundry?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 14, 2007 11:16AM
OK-

Solo trip, so I don't think I'll have enough laundry to justify going to to laundromat. I usually hand wash my synthetics and air dry anyways.

Does it really matter if I use unscented laundry detergent (I've got Cheer Free) or a mildly scented detergent like Woolite? I hear horror stories about black bears being attracted to anything that's even mildly perfumed. Of course I'm storing even unscented detergent in the bear boxes and not my car.

Would anyone object if I'm hand washing my laundry at the backpackers' campground?
Re: Doing laundry?
June 14, 2007 11:30AM
I think I remember there being signs that say "don't do your dishes in the bathroom" or somesuch. I suppose doing your laundry in the sink is along the same lines. That being said, I seem to remember the backpacker's campground in the Valley being pretty deserted during the day (people are out and about... you only stay one night so people are usually coming and going) , so it might not be a problem.

I'm sure you didn't mean that you'd be soaping up your landry in the river.

I can't remember if you'll be in the Valley campground or Tuolumne.
June 14, 2007 12:27PM
YPW,
It doesn't matter if your clothes are scented from washing. The bears won't bother you. Actually I think it's more dangerous if during a long hike you start smelling like carrion.

Old Dude
June 14, 2007 02:00PM
I have a small dish pan that I typically use to hand wash my clothes (and/or wash dishes for this trip). Of course I'm not dumping my wash water in the Merced River. What I had in mind was doing my laundry at my campsite and then dumping the wash water in a toilet or sink.

I would object to someone hogging a bathroom sink to do dishes or laundry. I'm not sure if anyone would object to dumping wash water in the sink or toilet, since the alternative is to dump it on the ground.

Oh - I'm staying at the Valley backpackers campground.

June 14, 2007 02:19PM
Your bear can makes a good washing machine. Put the clothes and soap in it and shake. Rinse the same way.

I don't think anybody would object to you doing your wash outside the sink room and dumping the gray water in a toilet or down the sink drain. I know I wouldn't.

Old Dude
June 14, 2007 03:10PM
y_p_w wrote:

> What I had in mind
> was doing my laundry at my campsite and then dumping the wash
> water in a toilet or sink.

There are big sinks outside the restroom that are there just for that purpose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login