Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Three California condors die of lead poisoning in Arizona

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Three California condors die of lead poisoning in Arizona
February 22, 2010 05:23PM
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Three rare California condors in northern Arizona died last month because they ingested lead pellets while feeding on carrion, according to test results released today. The deaths from lead poisoning are the first in three years among condors in Arizona and Utah, condor recovery program officials said. The Peregrine Fund recovered the bodies of a female condor and her year-old chick from the Grand Canyon, and a young male from the Arizona-Utah border last month.

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_14450441?source=rss
avatar Re: Three California condors die of lead poisoning in Arizona
February 22, 2010 09:44PM
Lead shot is already banned for waterfowl hunting. Lead fishing sinkers are less and less common, and I understand that they're not allowed in NPS areas.

If we're talking carrion, they were probably something shot/killed within a few weeks. I know there are some hunting targets that are hit ineffectively and then died later with lead shot in them, or animals that ingest lead that's been deposited by hunting. I'd bet that it was mostly animals that were winged.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login