Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

What level of physical Shape is necessary

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

What level of physical Shape is necessary
June 14, 2007 06:27PM
Here is another question that I can't find the answer to.
I am age 60 and not a jogger; used to be. I backpack Indiana, Kentucky, Tennisee with no problem other than going a little slowly. I hike about every other week for between 7 and 20 miles, camping the night too. I plan to do the John Muir trail in July. Can you tell me what I am in for trying to do this? I won't be acclamated either. I know I have lost 40% of my ability to use O2 being the age I am. I climbed Whitney over fourty years aga from the Portal, straight up in two days and it was HARD! I have backpacked in Montana, Wyoming, California and Colorado, but THIS TRAIL IS HIGH!!!
Thanks for your advice.
(another question about bear canisters will follow if I cannot find one that will help)
avatar Re: What level of physical Shape is necessary
June 14, 2007 07:07PM
Steve,
I'm 64 and a pal and I are going to do the trail in August from TM to Bubbs Creek in Kings Canyon which is going to be about 170 miles in 16 days. There will be +4000 feet days and -4000 feet days. The whole trail is 225 miles or so. Even if one isn't in the best of shape it can be done if the mileage per day is kept low and say 30 days are available for the hike. The first part of the trail doesn't have the major elevation changes so you can get some training along the way. There are many bailout points along the way.
I would give it a try and if it turns out to be more than you are willing to do for days on end then bail.

Here is a link to the profile of the trail:
http://www.pcta.org//about_trail/muir/elevation.asp

Old Dude
Re: What level of physical Shape is necessary
June 14, 2007 07:24PM
MIKE, THANK YOU SO MUCH. YOU ARE A GREAT HELP. GOOD LUCK, Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login