All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Grizzlies Move Into Polar Bear Turf On Hudson Bay
February 27, 2010 04:17PM
Reporting in The Canadian Field-Naturalist, researchers write of spotting grizzly bears in Canada's Wapusk National Park, on the shores of the Hudson Bay — land previously inhabited only by polar bears. Author Robert Rockwell discusses potential competition between the species.

http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr-podcasts/podcast/510221/124133881/npr_124133881.mp3
avatar Re: Grizzlies Move Into Polar Bear Turf On Hudson Bay
February 27, 2010 11:06PM
I listened to this report on Science Friday (NPR) Fascinating info -- particularly the fact that Grizz and Polar Bears can cross breed.
February 28, 2010 06:48AM
Bee
I listened to this report on Science Friday (NPR) Fascinating info -- particularly the fact that Grizz and Polar Bears can cross breed.

What do they call the mix?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
February 28, 2010 07:53AM
Chocalate Crackle w/ teeth and hair. Feed ME!
February 28, 2010 10:57AM
Frank Furter
Bee

What do they call the mix?

See this link (no snickering, the bears don't like it):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly–polar_bear_hybrid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 12:58PM by szalkowski.
February 28, 2010 10:54AM
Bee

Information on bear hybrids:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursid_hybrid

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 12:59PM by szalkowski.
February 28, 2010 11:04AM
Re: Grizzlies Move Into Polar Bear Turf On Hudson Bay
February 28, 2010 11:45AM
There was a special on Nat Geo a couple months ago about a guy who was hunting I believe polar bears. He saw this bear and thought how weird it looked but would make a nice trophy, considering the coloration of the fir. Got in trouble because the authorities thought it was a grizzly, didn't have grizzly permit, ran lab test to determine it was a hybrid that had both polar and grizzly features.
February 28, 2010 03:55PM
Vanilla Fudge bear!
February 28, 2010 04:02PM
Again, szalkowski comes through:
"A grizzly–polar bear hybrid (also Pizzly bear, Prizzly bear or Grolar bear[1][2]) is a rare ursid hybrid that has occurred both in captivity and in the wild. In 2006, the occurrence of this hybrid in nature was confirmed by testing the DNA of a strange-looking bear that had been shot on Banks Island in the Canadian arctic.[3]

A number of polar bear hybrids are described as Ursid hybrids, a term that designates any hybrid of two species within the Ursidae family. Polar bear hybrids with Grizzly bears have been reported and shot in the past as well, but DNA techniques were not available to verify the bears' ancestry."

( I think I like "Prizzly" best)

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login