Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Arctic Seabed Methane Stores Destabilizing

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Arctic Seabed Methane Stores Destabilizing
March 05, 2010 03:45PM
It’s a good thing this is all part of some giant conspiracy, because if I thought scientists at the University of Alaska were undertaking good-faith scientific research I’d be really worried about this:

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2010/03/arctic-seabed-methane-stores-destabilizing.php
avatar Re: Arctic Seabed Methane Stores Destabilizing
March 05, 2010 05:03PM
Those scientists put that methane there.
Re: Arctic Seabed Methane Stores Destabilizing
March 07, 2010 11:49PM
For another perspective, ponder the Storegga landslide of 6,100 BC that caused an estimated 70' tsunami to strike eastern Scotland. Two theories on the cause: (1) The release of debris deposited by the last ice age, and (2) methane gas imbedded in undersea mud destabilizing.

This mornings "Billings Gazette" (Billings, MT) contained an article that an offshore 9.0 earthquake could cause a 20-30' tsunami along the coasts of Oregon, Washington and British Columbia.
avatar Re: Arctic Seabed Methane Stores Destabilizing
March 08, 2010 06:44AM
Dearborn

This mornings "Billings Gazette" (Billings, MT) contained an article that an offshore 9.0 earthquake could cause a 20-30' tsunami along the coasts of Oregon, Washington and British Columbia.

As I recall (always an important qualifier to apply), the Northwest and Seattle area was highlighted in a PBS show dealing with earthquakes and tsunamis produced sometime after the Sumatra disaster. Even with a warning system, do to the proximity to faults in that area, it is likely that there would be substantial destruction.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login