All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 07, 2010 09:13PM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100306143028.htm

Dermatologists Can Diagnose and Treat Early Stage Melanomas Using New Technology

ScienceDaily (Mar. 6, 2010) — According to estimates from the American Cancer Society, melanoma, the most serious form of skin cancer, was responsible for an estimated 8,650 deaths in the United States in 2009. Of growing concern among dermatologists is the fact that melanoma is now the most common form of cancer for young adults 25-29 years old and the second most common cancer in adolescents and young adults 15-29 years old. Early diagnosis is the key to curing this potentially deadly disease, and diagnostic tools are playing a crucial role in aiding dermatologists to spot melanomas at earlier -- and more curable -- stages.....

ABCDs and E of Melanoma

One of the key educational tools used to train physicians, medical personnel and the general public on how to recognize early melanomas is the ABCDEs of Melanoma Detection. These characteristics of moles for which individuals should check their skin include Asymmetry (one half unlike the other half), Border (irregular, scalloped or poorly defined), Color (varies from one area to another; shades of tan and brown, black; sometimes white, red or blue), and Diameter (the size of a pencil eraser or larger).....

http://www.melanomamonday.org/documents/Body_Mole_Map_11-09.pdf

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
March 07, 2010 09:19PM
Keep your skin covered.

Old Dude
March 08, 2010 01:52AM
mrcondron
Keep your skin covered.

Where's the fun in that?
March 08, 2010 10:20AM
My neighbor across the street died of this last year 7 months following diagnosis.
March 08, 2010 12:18PM
eeek
mrcondron
Keep your skin covered.

Where's the fun in that?

Absolutely. I've heard in Vietnam there's currently an obsession by women of having the palest possible complexion. They live in a tropical climate and apparently women cover themselves completely outdoors to prevent tanning.

There are some pretty good sunscreens available. Supposedly the best current UVA blocking ingredient is something called Mexoryl-SX (ecamsule), which is patented by L'Oreal and is currently only available in products marketed under their brands. Anything you can find sold in the US with this ingredient is also very, very expensive. Most of what's available is in the form of two or three simple formulas that are relabeled under different brands; I guess that also takes care of the testing issues. Once it comes off patent, I think we're likely to find it from numerous manufacturers like we see avobenzone today.
Re: Skin Cancer ABCDE's
March 13, 2010 10:00AM
I started developing a systemic rash using Neutrogena sunscreen for face so I switched to Anthelios which is way more expensive (sells for ~$35 @CVS) but worth it.

I've seen a couple of asian tourists on trails wearing head-to-toe protective gear, including full masks like a power ranger!
March 13, 2010 02:14PM
Funny -- I am on my way over to REI to purchase this hat! http://www.rei.com/product/721671

I am outside A LOT, and I barely even have a single freckle because I remain covered all of the time. Also, I wear a very expensive face sunscreen all year long (even though I wear a hat 9 months out of the year (I am allowed a break from around Decemver-February when the fog sets up)

B

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 02:16PM by Bee.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login