All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Reaching for Stars When Space Thrilled and Paranoia Ruled
March 08, 2010 03:17PM
The years from 1957 to 1962 were a golden age of science fiction, as well as paranoia and exhilaration on a cosmic scale. The future was still the future back then, some of us could dream of farms on the moon and heroically finned rockets blasting off from alien landscapes. Others worried about Russian moon bases.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/09/science/space/09space.html?src=twt&twt=nytimesscience
avatar Re: Reaching for Stars When Space Thrilled and Paranoia Ruled
March 08, 2010 04:18PM
eeek
The future was still the future back then....

If I'm not mistaken, the future is still the future.
March 08, 2010 04:19PM
szalkowski
eeek
The future was still the future back then....

If I'm not mistaken, the future is still the future.

But it's just not the future we were promised. I still don't have my jet pack!
March 08, 2010 04:51PM
Anybody have any Popular Science or Popular Mechanics mags from the very early 50's about?

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2010 04:51PM by mrcondron.
March 08, 2010 10:56PM
mrcondron
Anybody have any Popular Science or Popular Mechanics mags from the very early 50's about?

One "idea" proposed back then was the nuclear-powered bomber (read steam-powered if you don't know how a nuclear powerplant works).

Concept studies were published in Aviation Week & Space Technology.

SAC figured that, with a virtually inexhaustible fuel source, they could keep planes airborne on their racetrack routes on the borders of the USSR for days or weeks at a time. In order to save weight on reactor shielding, the plane was envisioned as having an extremely long fuselage with the reactor in the rear and the crew quarters in the front. Still, it was explicitly stated, the recommendation was that the crews be comprised of men who did not plan to sire any more children.
March 09, 2010 01:42AM
szalkowski
mrcondron

One "idea" proposed back then was the nuclear-powered bomber (read steam-powered if you don't know how a nuclear powerplant works).

SAC figured that, with a virtually inexhaustible fuel source, they could keep planes airborne on their racetrack routes on the borders of the USSR for days or weeks at a time. In order to save weight on reactor shielding, the plane was envisioned as having an extremely long fuselage with the reactor in the rear and the crew quarters in the front. Still, it was explicitly stated, the recommendation was that the crews be comprised of men who did not plan to sire any more children.

Ever see the concept for a nuclear (new-cue-lar during the last administration) cruise missle? It shot radioactive debris out the back.
March 09, 2010 08:41AM
szalkowski
mrcondron

Sounds a bit tail heavy unless there was a lot of fuselage forward of the wing to counterbalance it. As for reduced reactor shielding, sounds like they took a page out of Russian submarine design. They were notorious for radiation exposure.
March 08, 2010 05:49PM
I, Chick-on

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 08, 2010 06:14PM
chick-on
I, Chick-on

What are the Three Laws of Chick-onics?
March 08, 2010 08:00PM
1. Pluck before cooking
2. Cook til 180 Degrees F
3. Don't eat the bones

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2010 08:00PM by mrcondron.
March 08, 2010 09:03PM
eeek
chick-on
I, Chick-on

1. Chick-on is allowed to hurt the Old Dude.
2. Chick-on must obey all orders except when said orders conflict with the First Law.
3. Chick-on must protect his own existence except when it conflicts with the First of Second Laws.

No Zero-th Law is required since The First Law covers it.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 08, 2010 09:05PM
chick-on
eeek
chick-on
I, Chick-on

1. Chick-on is allowed to hurt the Old Dude.
2. Chick-on must obey all orders except when said orders conflict with the First Law.
3. Chick-on must protect his own existence except when it conflicts with the First of Second Laws.

No Zero-th Law is required since The First Law covers it.

0. Chick-on is allergic to Bee stings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login