Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Arizona water supply at record levels, posing safety risk

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Arizona water supply at record levels, posing safety risk
March 19, 2010 12:32PM
PHOENIX -- With over 60 percent of our yearly rainfall in the Valley and record snowfall in the high country, lakes and reservoirs are full and overflowing. Horseshoe and Roosevelt lakes are at full capacity for the first time since 1996 when they made changes to the dam. Despite the lack of rain and snow over the last 10 days, our snow pack is running from 175-250 percent in the highest elevation.

http://www.abc15.com/content/weather/stories/story/Arizona-water-supply-at-record-levels-posing/quywdm-riUCQ8l3kSrZ7Mw.cspx
avatar Re: Arizona water supply at record levels, posing safety risk
March 19, 2010 08:24PM
Wow -- this is pretty amazing! We have had a really consistent year; I hope that April does not fizzle out into an early summer.
March 19, 2010 08:59PM
Rain in Arizona can be dangerous. I was driving in Phoenix on one of the rare days when it rains.

I understand that there are often flash floods when there's heavy rain.
March 20, 2010 12:26AM
Yes, absolutely there are flash floods. You learn to read the contours of the land and recognize "washes" (previously repeated flood zones) The scary part is that there can be a cloud burst ten miles away, clear skies above, and a flood will occur downriver. This happens in the Havasupai falls area towards the end of the Grand Canyon. Sometimes the park officials will send a helocopter down river to warn the rafters of impending floods....sometimes they are not so lucky (I think that it happened as recent as last year)

B
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login