Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Native American Petroglyphs Vandalized

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Native American Petroglyphs Vandalized
March 26, 2010 04:03AM
Lake Mead National Recreation Area (AZ,NV)
Native American Petroglyphs Vandalized

A 20-year-old Bullhead City man suspected of vandalizing petroglyphs in Grapevine Canyon was cited by rangers on Friday, March 19th. He and a 13-year-old boy were reported to have been shooting paintballs in the area. At least four petroglyph panels and numerous rock faces were defaced with paint. A caller to Bullhead City 911 reported that there were kids in the canyon shooting paintballs. Park rangers responded and contacted the man at the Grapevine Canyon trailhead parking lot. A preliminary investigation lead them to suspect that he was responsible for the red and green paint splatters in the canyon. The man was issued citations for defacing/disturbing an archeological resource, using and discharging a weapon, littering and vandalism. He was cited and released but will be required to appear before a federal magistrate. The National Park Service is coordinating the clean up with area tribes.
avatar Re: Native American Petroglyphs Vandalized
March 27, 2010 04:13AM
What a shame....I try to understand what would go through someones head to think that behavior like this is acceptable or even fun. Its disgusting in fact...
March 27, 2010 05:41AM
LeeVining
What a shame....I try to understand what would go through someones head to think that behavior like this is acceptable or even fun. Its disgusting in fact...

I'm surprised that it doesn't happen more often. Forgive the arithmetic license applied here: Given that there are probably 2+ million people within 100 miles of that area, probably 10% are entirely clueless and prone to destructive behavior, that is 200,000 people with intent. Maybe 10% might visit the sensitive features, that would be opportunity. 50% with guns, knives, paint, hatchets, etc. as a means. That would be 10,000 people/year with high likelihood of injuring sensitive resources.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
March 30, 2010 12:59AM
My analysis of Franks analysis has been deleted, therefore 100 percent of eeek is something

Gimme a break Frank your analysis should have been the deleted one. Nice try
March 30, 2010 09:07AM
Available soon at a bookstore near you:
"The YN&DF Guide to Non-Coherent Thought Processes"
eeek (ed.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login