All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 28, 2007 10:29AM
I just checked the Turtleback camera and found it showing some smoke. Anybody heard of a fire in Yosemite?

Re: Fire in Yosemite?
June 28, 2007 11:31AM
I found some reference to a prescribed burn in Yosemite Valley today. Would that be what we're seeing on the cam?
June 28, 2007 12:47PM
Yeah, that's it. I had been looking at a 2006 list thinking it was current and nothing was scheduled for that area. But found this just now:

Prescribed fire planned for Yosemite Valley - A 38-acre prescribed fire is slated for Yosemite Valley on Thursday, June 28th. Burned last in 1980, the YV-5 units is situated between Southside Drive and the Merced River just north of the Bridalveil Falls parking lot. The burn should be completed on Thursday with mop-up activites on Friday to reduce smoke for the weekend. Please advise visitors to slow down around the junction of Southside Drive and the Wawona Road, turn on headlights in smoke, and follow traffic control instructions. For qustions about this burn please call 375-9574 or 9576.

July 02, 2007 10:06AM
I saw the crew doing mop up work in the morning. It was slightly smoldering and the smoke affected all the long range photos I tried taking.
July 06, 2007 10:03AM
Yeah, I was in the valley last Sunday, and they have been doing controlled burns along the Merced river and a few other areas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login