Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (71% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Picking Hiking Boots That Fit

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Picking Hiking Boots That Fit
April 23, 2010 07:14PM
So spring is finally here, for many of us that mean hiking and backpacking. For some of us it also means we need new hiking boots. So often people buy new boots, trying them on in the store even walking around in the store for a few minutes, then when they are out in the woods for a few hours they may find out the boots don’t really fix correctly. This can lead to being just slightly uncomfortable for a few hours or it could mean painful blisters and an unpleasant backpacking experience.

http://backpackbasecamp.blogspot.com
avatar Re: Picking Hiking Boots That Fit
April 23, 2010 07:38PM
One old timers trick; when you buy some nice, leather, boots - soak them in warm water for10 minutes, get your hiking socks and sock liners wet too. Put on all the socks, the boots and walk around until they dry. Shrink to fit. Works great. I've never had a blister from boots I've done this to.
April 24, 2010 10:26AM
Dave
One old timers trick; when you buy some nice, leather, boots - soak them in warm water for10 minutes, get your hiking socks and sock liners wet too. Put on all the socks, the boots and walk around until they dry. Shrink to fit. Works great. I've never had a blister from boots I've done this to.

How many days does this process take?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
April 24, 2010 11:57AM
Frank Furter
Dave

This is undoubtedly the origin of the phrase 'Dying With Your Boots On'.
(signed)
The Beaks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2010 11:57AM by szalkowski.
April 24, 2010 01:52PM
szalkowski
Frank Furter
Dave

This is undoubtedly the origin of the phrase 'Dying With Your Boots On'.
(signed)
The Beaks

"Dying"?... or.. "Drying" With Your Boots On?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2010 01:54PM by Frank Furter.
April 24, 2010 04:27PM
Frank Furter
Dave

A few hours.
October 01, 2010 07:45PM
Dave
Frank Furter
Dave

A few hours.

One vote of affirmation cast for Honest Dave's Old Fashioned Snake Llama Oil Technique (HDOFLOT).

I have a pair of high-cut boots that I subjected to my normal break-in procedure. Nevertheless the collar/shaft of the the right-hand boot upper was exerting pressure on the end of the fibula; the left-hand boot was fine. This condition still persisted after wearing the boots on a 3-day (somewhat painful) trip in the Lost Coast area. Followed HDOFLO T, as outlined above, and it seemed to solve the problem. This was verified by recently wearing them during a fairly demanding (at least for the boots) trip in the Kings Canyon high country.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 07:46PM by szalkowski.
October 02, 2010 05:07PM
szalkowski
One vote of affirmation cast for Honest Dave's Old Fashioned Snake Llama Oil Technique (HDOFLOT).

I have a pair of high-cut boots that I subjected to my normal break-in procedure. Nevertheless the collar/shaft of the the right-hand boot upper was exerting pressure on the end of the fibula; the left-hand boot was fine. This condition still persisted after wearing the boots on a 3-day (somewhat painful) trip in the Lost Coast area. Followed HDOFLO T, as outlined above, and it seemed to solve the problem. This was verified by recently wearing them during a fairly demanding (at least for the boots) trip in the Kings Canyon high country.

I told ya it works. Llama
Another trick... carve your initials (backwards) on the bottom of your boots. That way you can spot your boot print on a trail that you happen to be going in circles on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login