Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hot Spots in Nevada

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 10, 2010 07:37PM
http://www.ktvu.com/southwest-travel/17974525/detail.html

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 10, 2010 07:44PM
I won't get bored in Nevada? Rolling on floor laugh
May 10, 2010 08:34PM
eeek
I won't get bored in Nevada?

I was at a loss what to say to introduce such a weird list of "vacation" spots in Nevada. It struck me as a very strange travel article. It probably discourages more visitors than it entices.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2010 08:35PM by Frank Furter.
Re: Hot Spots in Nevada
May 11, 2010 09:46AM
Basically, there are two types of vacations in Nevada - one in which you gamble, and one in which you do everything else. I think this article tries to tout the "everything else" part. If all the good stuff in Nevada were in a place the size of, say, the SF Bay Area Nevada, it would be worth a major trip. As it is, everything is so rarefied that there's plenty of opportunity to get bored between the fun.

My list of Nevada good stuff:

Carson City, NSRR Museum and nearby ghost towns;
Virginia City and V&T RR
Ely and the RR Museum
Great Basin NP
Ruby Mountains
The occasional archaeology/paleontology spot
Valley of Fire

and if you have nothing better to do, Highway 50.

Bruce Jensen
May 11, 2010 05:19PM
bpnjensen
Basically, there are two types of vacations in Nevada - one in which you gamble, and one in which you do everything else. I think this article tries to tout the "everything else" part. If all the good stuff in Nevada were in a place the size of, say, the SF Bay Area Nevada, it would be worth a major trip. As it is, everything is so rarefied that there's plenty of opportunity to get bored between the fun.

My list of Nevada good stuff:

Carson City, NSRR Museum and nearby ghost towns;
Virginia City and V&T RR
Ely and the RR Museum
Great Basin NP
Ruby Mountains
The occasional archaeology/paleontology spot
Valley of Fire

and if you have nothing better to do, Highway 50.

Bruce Jensen

Sounds like someone just revealed a RR interest.

-- Carl Sagan
May 11, 2010 06:28PM
For your information, and for others too, the NSRR Museum has one of the very few operating wood burning steam locomotives in the country. It gets fired up over the 4th of July weekend and one or two other holidays. It chugs around the almost one mile long track at the museum on 395 just south of downtown Carson City. Quite a sight to see and be near.

Old Dude
May 11, 2010 09:57AM
Bruce,
How is Great Basin NP?
Considered going there to see a nice night sky.
Suppose to be one of the best places for a dark sky nowadays.
May 11, 2010 03:22PM
bill-e-g
How is Great Basin NP?

I've heard that it only exists because Nevada didn't have a National Park.
May 11, 2010 07:34PM
What ever happened to our resident Nevada expert?
May 11, 2010 05:25PM
bill-e-g
Bruce,
How is Great Basin NP?
Considered going there to see a nice night sky.
Suppose to be one of the best places for a dark sky nowadays.

Actually, just get out on 80 east of Lovelock and you can get some good night sky.

Regarding Nevada sites of interest, I stopped by Lovelock Cave (near Winnemucca) last time out and it was an interesting BLM archeologic site. Really provokes the imagination to think about the lake and culture that existed in that area >1000yrs ago. The road to the cave is gravel/dirt but accessible. Maps at BLM help as there are some interesting Emigrant Trail landmarks along the way. Many cultures existed in the mid-continent more than 500 yrs ago and seem to have been disrupted by weather/climate changes ( cultures in Moab, Cliffdwellers Colorado, New Mexico, etc.)

-- Carl Sagan
May 18, 2010 08:38AM
A wise person once said to me, "Only the boring are bored."

If you need to be spoon-fed your entertainment, stay with Vegas or Reno. The rest of Nevada isn't for you.

Anywhere outside of the metro areas will provide you with clear night skies. I also would recommend visiting some of the numerous ghost towns like Rhyolite (not far from Vegas/Pahrump/Death Valley), Aurora (just a few miles from Bodie), Seven Troughs (about 25 miles northwest of Lovelock). Everything else is the middle of nowhere. You can take a tour of Yucca Mountain to see what all the fuss is about, or check out 240-million-year-old fossils called Ichthyosaurs at Berlin Ichthyosaur State Park (13 miles east of Gabbs). Berlin is another ghost town. Or check out the earthquake fault scarp east of Fallon, created in the 1950s by a 7.2 quake. The scarp runs for tens of miles north and south of Highway 50. Or the Stillwater National Wildlife Refuge just east of Fallon. Or the petroglyphs also east of Fallon. Or rockhound anywhere (I found opals near the earthquake scarp). Or get your 4x4 ready and take a couple days exploring High Rock Canyon, part of the Lassen-Applegate trail in extreme Northern Washoe County. Highlights out east have been mentioned above, don't forget the Lehman Caves within Great Basin NP. If you need to stay close to California you can camp out anywhere north of Bodie, it's beautiful forested land. Many campsites also along the East Walker River with plenty of fishing. If you want weird, try Pyramid Lake north of Fernley, a Lake Tahoe-sized lake with no trees but massive tufa towers (largest in the world, tells you something about "global warming"winking smiley. Or even more alien would be Rachel along the Extraterrestrial Highway, if you want starry skies and maybe a UFO. Or you could dig for very valuable fire opals in Virgin Valley. Most of the out-of-the-way spots will be home to antelope, mountain goats, bighorn sheep and lots and lots of mustangs. By all means bring your gun and wear it proudly on your belt.
May 19, 2010 02:02PM
Vince, you were doing O.K. until the last line.
May 19, 2010 02:43PM
tomdisco

Increase medication dosage?
May 19, 2010 02:43PM
tomdisco

Really? What about the UFO stuff?
May 20, 2010 05:12PM
eeek
tomdisco

Really? What about the UFO stuff?

Ever hear of Groom Lake?
May 20, 2010 05:20PM
tomdisco
Ever hear of Groom Lake?

No!!! And neither have you!!!
May 20, 2010 07:07PM
eeek
tomdisco
Ever hear of Groom Lake?

No!!! And neither have you!!!

Somebody forgot to tell Google Earth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login