Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: half dome camping

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

half dome camping
July 07, 2007 08:52AM
hello...is it possible to camp w/o permit on way to half dome .....i read where it said u r allowed to camp 2 miles past yosemite valley hapy isles w/o permit..is this true..thank you
July 07, 2007 09:56AM
Nope

Two miles past Happy Isles trailhead puts you in a place where you can't camp anyway, nor would you want to. Little Yosemite is the closest (about 3.5 miles) and you don't want to camp there, either, it's a joke. I wouldn't bother camping anywhere near Yosemite Valley or anywhere along Highway 120. Unless you like crowds and feces. Plenty of other spots in the Sierra where you can find a quiet, shady place and listen to the wind, or as I do, listen to XM channel 5.

(Taken July 4 a little west of Lake Tahoe...notice the shirt, hat and attitude, the shirt and hat say Yosemite on them, the attitude does not)

July 07, 2007 11:54AM
thanks vince...so do u have any suggestions where to take a hike with my son and possibly camp overnite and see beautiful scenery..where the hiking ihard and also fairly accessible///thanks,,,,,,like the pic and the tahoe area...anywhere u can suggest up that way..thanks again
July 07, 2007 03:25PM
Where do you live? I can help you to a pretty spot not far away. I personally favor the Eastern Sierra, and since the Sierra is only about 75 miles wide at the most...
July 07, 2007 08:27PM
mcloud59 wrote:

> hello...is it possible to camp w/o permit on way to half dome
> .....i read where it said u r allowed to camp 2 miles past
> yosemite valley hapy isles w/o permit..is this true..thank you

Is it possible to camp in the backcountry without a permit? Yes. Is it legal? No. As for where you can do so legally (i.e. with a permit) the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps show where backcountry camping is not allowed.

The worst that might happen if you attempt to camp in the backcountry without a permit is you get fined and a law enforcement ranger informs you that you must pack up and leave your campsite immediately. I've heard sometimes permit checks are done in the middle of the night just to make it unpleasant for those without permits.

A permit reservation is only $5 for the entire party for the entire trip. First-come, first served permits are free.

I stayed at Little Yosemite Valley on a Friday and didn't think it was all that crowded. It might be worse on the weekend.

July 08, 2007 09:10PM
im in the bay area vince...do u know any good back lakes to back pack into in the eastern sierras..thanks again don
July 08, 2007 11:15PM
mcloud59 wrote:

> im in the bay area vince...do u know any good back lakes to
> back pack into in the eastern sierras..thanks again don

Wow, there are so many.

Shadow lake out of Mammoth (and others in the area) is great. Cottonwood Lakes out of Lone Pine are good too.

July 09, 2007 08:43AM
Barney, Peeler, Snow, and Crown Lakes out of Twin Lakes which are near Bridgeport on 395. You will need a wilderness permit issued by the Bridgeport office.

Old Dude
July 09, 2007 03:07PM
thanks guys
July 10, 2007 03:31PM
I had asked some questions about the Eastern Sierras if that helps:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?f=1&i=2265&t=2265&v=f
July 16, 2007 04:40AM
thank you letterknit..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login