Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Three panthers killed in three days on U.S. 41 East

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Three panthers killed in three days on U.S. 41 East
May 24, 2010 08:27PM
Three endangered Florida panthers have been killed in the past three days along U.S. 41 East in Collier County, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reported Monday. The grisly weekend string of roadkills on the two-lane rural road prompted a warning from wildlife officials to obey speed limits in panther zones and prompted a conservation group to urge stepped up efforts to stem the death toll.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/may/24/three-panthers-killed-three-days-us-41-east/
avatar Re: Three panthers killed in three days on U.S. 41 East
May 24, 2010 08:59PM
I've travelled that road before. Back in 2006, I went to Everglades City to take a boat tour at Everglade NP, along with stops at several roadside viewpoints and the Everglades NP Shark Valley tram tour before heading back to Miami. There are canals all along the route, with lots of prime fishing spots, as well as alligators. Florida is the only place I've seen with lower nighttime speed limits.

It's one of those roads that are so long and straight that many drivers would be tempted to go fast. It's not particularly unsafe (I've seen 2-lane roads in Idaho with a 65 MPH speed limit) but as the article says, there are assorted creatures that run onto the roadway.
May 24, 2010 09:01PM
y_p_w
Florida is the only place I've seen with lower nighttime speed limits.

Doesn't Montana do that?

(I've seen 2-lane roads in Idaho with a 65 MPH speed limit)

We have those in California.
May 24, 2010 09:30PM
eeek
y_p_w
Florida is the only place I've seen with lower nighttime speed limits.

Doesn't Montana do that?

(I've seen 2-lane roads in Idaho with a 65 MPH speed limit)

We have those in California.

The only time I'd been to Montana was West Yellowstone and Gardiner in conjunction with trips to Yellowstone. I never got past Gardiner (i.e. no highways) and I don't recall much around West Yellowstone. I wasn't driving either.

What I really remember was seeing the nighttime speed limit signs along US-1 from Miami to Key West.

I think I've been on 395 from Death Valley to Lee Vining, but again I wasn't driving.
May 25, 2010 12:28AM
y_p_w
I don't recall much around West Yellowstone.

I think it was around West Yellowstone that I saw the day/night speed limits.
May 24, 2010 09:57PM
eeek

Doesn't Montana do that?
Yes, more commonly for trucks, but occasionally for autos. Also, some two lanes with 70 mph speed limits.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login