Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (89% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Cables

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Cables
May 12, 2003 09:11AM
<HTML>I have been hiking half dome for the past 5 years and looks to me as if this year will be the most spectacular yet. There has been some massive snow falls late this year and the mist trails should be more than 'misty'.

Probably bring a poncho this year along the trail. Any idea if the cables will be up by Memorial day weekend?</HTML>

Half Dome - World's Best Hiking Place
May 13, 2003 02:34PM
<HTML>I also would be interested in any estimates on when the cables will go up. I am hoping to climb Half Dome for the first time when the cables go up.</HTML>
May 13, 2003 06:25PM
<HTML>this is the latest from the nps web site

The cables to the top of Half Dome are down. The cables will not be put up this week (5/11) due to snow conditions along the cable route. The route will be re-evaluated for next week (week of 5/18).
The Mist Trail and all of the John Muir Trail in the Vernal/Nevada Falls area are both open.
The Four Mile Trail is closed for the winter due to dangerous conditions in the avalanche chutes. This trail usually reopens by late May, conditions permitting.</HTML>
May 14, 2003 12:50PM
<HTML>More info from the YNP daily report.
Some good news to report!

The Vernal/Nevada Falls corridor has been fully opened from the winter route status. This gives hikers access to all parts of the trail system to
the top of Nevada Fall. Icy conditions are likely to persist on cold mornings, so care should be taken until things really warm up. We will be
partially opening the Four Mile Trail by tomorrow to allow hikers to go almost up to the hazardous sections of the trail (about 2 miles now, and
about 3 1/2 miles as things melt out more). This means that hikers will be able to use the bottom section of the trail and get good views of Yosemite Valley, Yosemite Falls and Half Dome, but will not be able to safely get to Glacier Point. The Trail Closed sign at the bottom will be replaced by signs further up the trail that say Trail Closed Ahead. The hazards on this trail stem from snow filled chutes that can be very hazardous to cross. Little Yosemite Valley Ranger Camp is being set up this week by trail crew and ranger staff.

***Weather permitting, it is hoped the Half Dome cables will be put up next week, although this date is entirely dependent on snow melt and weather conditions.***
(abbreviated weather forecast from NWS: Thursday. Mostly sunny. Highs 63 to 73. Friday. Mostly sunny. Highs 63 to 73. Saturday. Mostly sunny. Highs 64 to 74. Sunday. Mostly sunny. Highs 57 to 67. Monday. Mostly sunny. Highs 56 to 66. Tuesday. Sunny. Highs 58 to 68.)

Tioga Road Update for Tues. May 13: The road is being widened from Olmsted Point west. If proper avalanche conditions allow a cut will be made through the Olmsted Avalanche zone early on Wednesday morning and progress will continue eastward.</HTML>
May 15, 2003 12:17PM
<HTML>Thanks Craig. This is very useful information.</HTML>

May 15, 2003 01:05PM
<HTML>Craig, I also appreciate the information.

I hope to arrive in Yosemite on the 21st of May and can stay through the 26th and I hope to climb Half Dome some time during my stay.</HTML>
May 16, 2003 02:52AM
<HTML>If the cables aren't open, consider Clouds Rest as an alternative. While it isn't as impressive as a brag the view is quite a bit better.</HTML>

May 20, 2003 11:39AM
<HTML>I just went to the Yosemite webiste (www.nps.gov/yose/news), and it says that the Half Dome cables "WILL BE UP" by this Memorial Day weekend. Good news!!!!</HTML>
May 27, 2003 11:17AM
<HTML>The cables were put up on time for the Memorial Day weekend. Heard that the views are just fantastic!

Happy Hiking to Half Dome.

Satish</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login