Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

help

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

help
July 11, 2007 02:53PM
i am a seventeen year old boy doing the jmt in august does anyone have any tips on what to get what is smart to pack and what packs would be good for it some one plaese email at johnnyboybaca@gmail.com

Post Edited (07-11-07 16:54)
Re: help
July 11, 2007 04:23PM
Have you googled "John Muir Trail"?
There are quite a few resources on the web. I have never done the whole trail, so I'm not much help. I think there might also be a book available at REI about the JMT.
July 11, 2007 04:57PM
John,

Will this be your first long backpack trip? Are you going solo?

Old Dude
July 12, 2007 09:48AM
Do you have experience backpacking, or are you going with someone who does? If you are going with an experienced hiker, ask him or her what you need to bring. Make a list. REI will have just about everything you need.

A few tips: Never scrimp on boots. This is probably the single most important piece of gear for a backpacker. You can expect to drop about $200 for a good pair. And get 2 pair of good socks while you're at it. You will also need a good Gortex outer jacket, and a good fleece or similar jacket, Windstopper material perhaps. A good H2O filter is also a must have. A backpack should fit you well, and most salespeople should know how to properly fit you, but you can find a good backpack without spending loads of cash. Depending on time of year, a down jacket may be indispensable.

When packing, pack light! i.e. 2 shirts (I've done multi day hikes with one shirt), 1 pair convertable pants/shorts, 1 knit/fleece cap, headlamp, Mag light, stove, fuel and enough food.

This list is just cursory, but should get you started.

Keep in mind, "He who hikes alone has a fool for a partner."

Cheers, let us know how it goes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login