Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Road Crack Sealing

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 19, 2007 04:41PM
Starting July 23rd roads crew will start a road crack seal project on the Tioga Pass road starting at Crane Flat. There will be up to 20 minute delays.

avatar Re: Tioga Road Crack Sealing
July 19, 2007 05:32PM
Well, I've heard of the elephant, monk, Weddell, leopard, Ross, crab-eater, hooded, ringed, Caspian, ribbon, bearded, gray, Baikal, and fur but never the road crack.

Old Dude
July 20, 2007 03:50PM
A rather large population existed within the present park boundries during the last ice age.

Rumor has it that the NPS hopes to reverse global warming by luring polar bears back into the area.
July 23, 2007 04:23PM
A seal walks into a bar and the bartender says, "what'll you have?" The seal says, "anything but a Canadian Club!"

July 20, 2007 04:59PM
I'm sorry, but humor is just not allowed on this message board. Not allowed!
smiling smiley
July 21, 2007 05:20PM
I would prefer that they not sell crack on Tioga Road. It brings a bad element to the highlands.

Oh....crack SEALING?

That's different.

Nevermind.
July 21, 2007 06:44PM
I don't think crack sealing is OK either. Road crack seals are an endangered species, and should be protected.

That's why there aren't any in Russia...they had no laws regulating crack sealing, and now look.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
July 22, 2007 10:14AM
I can't believe they're removing road cracks without public input. How do they know which crack to remove? Has a study been completed? If this continues, they will just KEEP removing the cracks.. it will be anarchy! Who is starting the petition?
July 22, 2007 01:00PM
Do any of you guys realize how venomous road crack seal spit is?

I'm going to start carrying a spray can of antisealant on my trips!
July 22, 2007 01:40PM
What about the endangered Road Crack Mite (acarine asphaultus fissura) that relies on road cracks for it's habitat?
July 22, 2007 09:22PM
I think it's obvious that we need to stop the illegal harvesting of road cracks immediately. Then we can study how best to save these endangered road crack inhabitants from certain extinction. Until then, we should fence them off with warning signs telling people to stay away.

As far as the danger to humans from the seals, statistics show that you're twice as likely to die from being bitten by a Half Dome cable, as to be attacked by a road crack seal; still, one cannot be too careful...

I must say, however, that the Sawyer extractor has never failed to work on either of the above.

Gary
July 22, 2007 10:07PM
Sierrafan wrote:

> I think it's obvious that we need to stop the illegal
> harvesting of road cracks immediately.

Ok, but aren't they related to plumber cleavage?

July 23, 2007 07:43AM
They may be related, but (thank goodness!) plumber cleavage habitat is largely limited to the southern portion of the state, and they rarely migrate farther north than Santa Barbara.

July 23, 2007 12:40PM
mellowyellow wrote:
> They may be related, but (thank goodness!) plumber cleavage
> habitat is largely limited to the southern portion of the
> state, and they rarely migrate farther north than Santa
> Barbara.
>

Thanks to the quick actions of many volunteers who watch for this invasive species and know what to do on those rare occasions when it appears north of Santa Barbara.

It's been shown that quick application of hot asphalt to plumber cleavage, when it appears outside its native habitat, will fix the immediate problem and usually prevent its return. While it may also cause harm to any road crack mites who happen to be accompanying the cleavage, most people consider it a worthwhile sacrifice...

Note: the Sawyer extractor is NOT effective or recommended for use on plumber cleavage attacks.

Gary
July 24, 2007 11:37AM
I am glad to see that humor on this forum has eeek's seal of approval!
July 27, 2007 05:40PM
Will they have signs near the crack sealant that says "The chemicals used in this sealant are known in the state of California to cause reproductive harm and certain death?"
August 10, 2007 11:44AM
The crack sealing project on the Tioga pass road started on Monday July 30th. There will be up to 20 minute delays. The project should take 5 weeks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login