Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: water sources on half dome trail??

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

water sources on half dome trail??
July 26, 2007 06:11PM
hi..will water be hard to find and filter on half dome trail..thank you
avatar Re: water sources on half dome trail??
July 26, 2007 08:56PM
mcloud59 wrote:

> hi..will water be hard to find and filter on half dome
> trail..thank you

Fill up from the Merced at Little Yosemite Valley. I wouldn't count on having a water source past there.

July 26, 2007 09:35PM
There is a spring about halfway up from LYV but it can be hard to find as it is a couple hundred yards off the trail. A 7.5 min topo map will show it. But follow eeeks advice and fill up at the Merced River at LYV. On a hot day I would have three liters of water and about 1500 calories in snacks.

Old Dude
July 26, 2007 09:46PM
mrcondron wrote:

> There is a spring about halfway up from LYV but it can be hard
> to find as it is a couple hundred yards off the trail.

I didn't want to mention the spring. Besides being hard to find it might be dry this year. At least there will be some water in the Merced.

July 27, 2007 07:57AM
Also, if you don't want the detour into the Little Yosemite Valley campground, there are easy river access spots shortly after you leave the Nevada Fall restroom at the Mist trail/JMT junction. Just watch for when the trail gets near to the river, and get it there. If you go too far and get away from the river, you can still take the Little Yosemite Valley campground fork and fill up.

I'd be sure to have at LEAST a half gallon from there, after you've drank your fill. When we went up during a hot spell in late May, I used pretty close to a gallon including a bottle of Gatorade (for the whole hike from Happy Isles and back).

For the spring I'm thinking of, after you pass the 2 mile to Half Dome trail junction and get past the first zigzags (~10 min), look for a big downed tree/log on the left...one that might look inviting to sit on. It's just behind that log, and you can't see it from the trail. As others said, don't depend on anything past the Merced in this dry year. Even if you have water, if that spring is flowing you might want to stop; that icy cold water tasted absolutely wonderful on our way down.

Post Edited (07-27-07 14:15)

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
July 31, 2007 04:48AM
thank you all so much for the valuable info...that spring was a lifesaver sierrrafan...and it was like u said soooo cold....couldnt have made it without it...many many thanks....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login