Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Routes to Modesto

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Anonymous User
Routes to Modesto
August 04, 2007 09:10AM
Going to be camping in Lower Pines mid August and will have to go to the Modesto airport to pick up our daughter. We don't have to be in Modesto until 5pm ish so we have all day to enjoy the trip. Which route 140 or 120 would be the most scenic/interesting for the relaxed trip out? Which way would let us enjoy the "best" gold country experience too? We will be heading back to the valley around 5:30-6:00pm. Is one route better than the other at night?
Appreciate any insight as we have used hiway 41 many times but never the other routes. Oh yeah, we will be in our pickup so no problem using 140.
Thanks very much.

August 04, 2007 10:09AM
4Jeeperz wrote:

> Going to be camping in Lower Pines mid August and will have to
> go to the Modesto airport to pick up our daughter. We don't
> have to be in Modesto until 5pm ish so we have all day to enjoy
> the trip. Which route 140 or 120 would be the most
> scenic/interesting for the relaxed trip out? Which way would
> let us enjoy the "best" gold country experience too? We will be
> heading back to the valley around 5:30-6:00pm. Is one route
> better than the other at night?
> Appreciate any insight as we have used hiway 41 many times but
> never the other routes. Oh yeah, we will be in our pickup so no
> problem using 140.
> Thanks very much.

120 is generally the fastest way or out for Manteca and/or points north thereof. I'd say 140 is more scenic.

At various times, I've traveled portions of 49 from Oakhurst to Angels Camp. Lots of it are plain, brush-covered areas for miles. However - I thought the section from Mariposa to Chinese Camp was rather fun, especially so driving my Subaru Impreza WRX. There are a few hairpin turns, and the areas near the reservoirs are interesting. There are some exposed areas next to the road where you can see some interesting geology.

As starter, maybe try 140 to Mariposa. You could stop there and I understand there's a museum and you can get a bite to eat and/or gas. From there, turn back and head up 49. There would be two ways - either hang left and take 132 west (I've never tried it) all the way to Modesto, or continue up to Chinese Camp and 120/108 west. I think you can follow the signs when 108 splits going to Modesto. If you're going all the way to Manteca before heading south to Modesto, 120 gets a bit interesting from Oakdale through Escalon to Manteca. It's all essentially city streets and farm area highways. If you don't meticulously follow every sign telling you how to stay on 120, I could imagine getting lost. That's how I felt the first time I drove it.

Another way might be to Angels Camp and Sonora. Head west via 4 and you're set. Maybe a stop at New Melones Lake.

Of course I'd recommend getting a map of Modesto. I find that if I get a little sidetracked or just plain lost, it's helpful to have a full street map. I'm a AAA member and just get what I need before the trip.

Have fun.

August 04, 2007 10:48PM
I'd probably take 140.

August 05, 2007 12:18AM

Nuff said
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login