Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Body of Missing Hiker found

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 26, 2010 12:48PM
Missing Hiker in Zion
Date: July 22, 2010

Zion National Park is conducting a search for a missing hiker in the Kolob Terrace section of the park. On Wednesday afternoon, the park was notified that a member of a Boy Scout group had become separated from his group on the second day of a backpacking trip. A search was launched using ground search teams and a helicopter. The search resumed Thursday morning using search dogs, field searchers, and a helicopter.

The missing hiker, Corey Buxton, 17, is about 6 feet, 3 inches tall and approximately 230 pounds. He was last seen on the Hop Valley Trail approximately 2.5 miles north of the Hop Valley Trailhead along the Kolob Terrace Road. Anyone with information about his whereabouts should contact Zion Park Dispatch at 435-772-0178.
avatar Body of Missing Hiker found
July 26, 2010 12:50PM
Body of Missing Hiker found
Date: July 23, 2010

Searchers found the body of a missing hiker in Zion National Park at approximately 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, July 22. A ground search team located the body of Corey Buxton, 17, of Las Vegas, Nevada near the Hop Valley Trail in the Kolob Terrace section of the park.

On Wednesday afternoon, June 21, Buxton was reported missing from his Boy Scout group on a the second day of a four day backpacking trip in the park. The National Park Service launched search efforts with a helicopter and ground search teams on Wednesday afternoon. The hiker was not located Wednesday evening and the search effort continued on Thursday with search dog teams from Zion Canine Search and Rescue, ground search teams, and a helicopter.

Two search dogs alerted on a ravine east of the Hop Valley Trail. A ground search team entered the brushy ravine and located the body about 400 feet from the trail.

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office is conducting an investigation in cooperation with the National Park Service. This is standard procedure in the case of fatalities in Zion National Park. The cause of death will be determined by the Washington County Medical Examiner.
avatar Re: Body of Missing Hiker found
July 26, 2010 01:43PM
Scout leader's nightmare.
avatar Re: Missing Hiker in Zion
July 27, 2010 07:11AM
This was entirely preventable. The whole group should have been hiking at the pace of the slowest hiker. This is a perfect example of why that should be.
July 27, 2010 07:18AM
At least a sweeper.

Old Dude
July 27, 2010 03:58PM
Dave
This was entirely preventable. The whole group should have been hiking at the pace of the slowest hiker. This is a perfect example of why that should be.

Do Boy Scout leaders get any wilderness training at all?
July 27, 2010 04:38PM
How do you get lost and die 400 feet from a trail?

Ravine . . . Did he fall down this an break his neck? Does anyone know what the trail is like?

Did he loose the trail and not have water with him?

What'd he do wrong?
What'd the Scout Leaders do wrong? ( If you had him in sight, and then not, wouldn't that narrow the search area considerably? )

just a few things to wonder about . . .
July 27, 2010 05:02PM
qumqats
What'd the Scout Leaders do wrong?

They didn't position a leader at the back of the group.
July 27, 2010 08:28PM
eeek
Dave
No. The ones in my old troop were all jerks that knew nothing.
July 27, 2010 08:41PM
Dave
eeek
Dave

My brother (2.5 years older than me) was in the scouts. When he first joined, I tagged along with him to a couple of the meetings... and quickly decided that I could learn anything that was discussed infinitely faster and better if I just did it on my own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2010 08:42PM by szalkowski.
July 28, 2010 12:21AM
Dave

Sounds like both of my old troops.
July 29, 2010 07:01AM
I remember making biscuits with snow on the ground. Never came in real handy. Much of the outdoor lore taught in the Scouts was old hat to rural boys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login