Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Interesting places, going up 395

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Interesting places, going up 395
August 06, 2007 05:55AM
Does anyone have any kitschy/corny/educational/neat stops driving up 395 from LA to Tuolumne Meadows, and back?
We are leaving next Sunday morning, and going to spend a night in Mammoth, then Monday through Friday at TM. My wife and kids have never been up there going up 395. I plan on going to Devils Postpile, possibly Manzanar. Any recommendations for breakfast or lunch?

Post Edited (08-06-07 07:56)
avatar Re: Interesting places, going up 395
August 06, 2007 09:53AM
Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, Hot Creek and Mono Lake South Tufa and Panum Crater

From 395 going North, just outside of Big Pine, hang a right at the Giant Sequoia, go up the narrow canyon, turn LEFT at the sign, then a windy road for several miles till you get to 10,000 feet. Easy 4.25-mile hike around the ancient bristlecones, self-guided tour, ranger gives a talk about the trees on the hour. Entry fee I think is $3 but it's good for both the bristlecones and Mono Lake tufa.

Head back north on 395, take the first road east just past the Mammoth airport. About 3 miles on a dirt road on the left you will find Hot Creek, with hot water coming out in the creek and a bunch of bug-eyed fly fishermen who don't blink or talk to anyone.

After you're done there, head north again on 395, just before Mono Lake turn right on highway 120. On the left will be Panum Crater, very rough road so go slow. Easy hike into the volcano, which last erupted about 640 years ago. Past there a few miles you'll find the South Tufa, which formed underwater before LA pigged all the water out of the Owens River and creeks around the lake. You can easily do all these in a day. If you have time you might swing around June Lake loop, very pretty drive.

Have fun!

Post Edited (08-07-07 00:56)
August 06, 2007 09:55AM
I stopped at Bishop last summer coming up from Death Valley. From there we went through to Tioga Pass, which I saw for the first time. I didn't do a whole lot in Bishop other than eat/sleep/etc, but their chamber of commerce has some sightseeing suggestions:

http://www.bishopvisitor.com/activities/exp_motor.php3
http://www.bishopvisitor.com/activities/exp_sightseeing_photography.php3
August 06, 2007 11:24AM
Fossil Falls makes a nice short stop.

August 06, 2007 10:55PM
Just keep in mind about Fossil Falls (just before that big red cinder cone on the east of 395 just past Little Lake): Worst road in the history of the world and there is volcanic glass everywhere so go slow you won't break your suspension or cut a tire. Last time I was in there in my Mustang the speedo cable came loose from the speedo, which took me about 15 minutes to put back in and cut the crap out of my hand in all the sharp edges under the dash.

The hike from the parking area to the falls is easy and the falls are freaky.

Forgot about that one eeek
August 06, 2007 11:14PM
Vince wrote:

> : Worst road in the history of the world

Not even close! Try Laural Canyon if you want bad and even it isn't the worst I've been on.

August 06, 2007 11:08PM
Oh yeah, and while you're at it...go to Bodie. Sheesh how could I forget the best state park in California? A little north of Mono Lake (you can see Mono Lake from up on Bodie Bluff). Take the stamp mill tour.

Come to think of it, you might want to forget Yosemite altogether and just tour the Eastern Sierra. Yosemite's too crowded anyway and you might be eaten by a bear or a bigfoot.
August 06, 2007 11:31PM
OK OK, worst *dirt* road LOL

I forgot to tell you the other part (said it in another post) I will be staying at Pumice Flat Aug. 11-12-13, for family reunion, come by if you want, there will be extra beer. I'm in the OJ-style white bronco. Oh, and my cousins are CHP and Fire Dept so they are handy with guns and hatchets in case you're looking for trouble.

Post Edited (08-07-07 01:34)
August 07, 2007 09:51AM
I liked Fossil Falls, but would suggest early morning or late afternoon/evening. We stopped once in the middle of the afternoon, and the heat was overwhelming.
August 07, 2007 08:15PM
August 07, 2007 11:48PM
letterknit wrote:

> Have you tried:
> http://www.395.com/

It used to be pretty good. But that changed.

August 08, 2007 05:36AM
When I go to 395.com, it brings me quickly to another screen, asking for a password.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login