Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Calories burned in 1 hour

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Calories burned in 1 hour
July 27, 2010 08:01PM
avatar Re: Calories burned in 1 hour
July 29, 2010 06:56AM
So, if you weigh 200-lbs and go backpacking for 6 hours you loose 3,822 calories. Trying to replace 3,800 calories per day on the trail is a tall order, especially when altitude tends to diminish one's appetite. No wonder bill-e-g likes Twinkies and sausages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 06:57AM by tomdisco.
July 29, 2010 10:05AM
and M&Ms, Cheetos, HO HOs, cupcakes, and on and on and on and on.....

Old Dude
August 07, 2010 02:32PM
mrcondron
and M&Ms, Cheetos, HO HOs, cupcakes, and on and on and on and on.....

Funny thing is Chick-On gets them when they reach their destination.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2010 03:02PM by Catalonian Burro.
Re: Calories burned in 1 hour
July 29, 2010 11:23AM
That's hard for me to believe. I think it depends on how fast you go and how steep the trail is. If you're walking one mile an hour on a flat trail through the forest carrying a light pack, I highly doubt you'd burn anything at all.
July 29, 2010 06:48PM
rightstar76
If you're walking one mile an hour on a flat trail through the forest carrying a light pack, I highly doubt you'd burn anything at all.

A person will burn calories just by standing still. There is remarkably little difference between calories expended moving quickly vs moving slowly. Some difference, but much less than you might imagine. Walking 5 miles burns only about 150 fewer calories than running 5 miles. A slice of bread is about 100 calories, for comparison.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 30, 2010 08:52AM
So Frank, are you saying the charts are total hogwash?
July 30, 2010 02:06PM
tomdisco
So Frank, are you saying the charts are total hogwash?

Not at all. I am not disagreeing with the charts. I think the charts for calories burned/activity bear support my suggestion.
Look at the Mayo chart, jogging 5 miles burns 584 calories; walking 2 mph for 5 miles burns 183 X2.5 or about 457 calories (plus "maintenance calories" for the extra 90 minutes that it would take you, would put it even closer to 500).

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login