Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Bear boxes for HSC hikers

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Bear boxes for HSC hikers
August 08, 2007 12:58PM
Tried searching for this and didn't quite find the answer I was looking for. We are doing the HSC loop next week. We'll be spending a few days in Lee Vining beforehand. I was wondering if bear boxes are available in Tuolumne to put the toiletries that we want for the rest of our trip, but don't want to carry with us.

Thanks.

Re: Bear boxes for HSC hikers
August 08, 2007 01:16PM
Yes, there are plenty of bear boxes available. I parked near the stables and there was plenty of room in the boxes there. Just be sure that whatever you leave, you can possible do without. While I didn't have any problem with the mini ice chest and big bag of snacks left for five days, I've read accounts of folks who had their food stolen.

Jennifer
http://www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/JenniferWilliams/Default.aspx
avatar Re: Bear boxes for HSC hikers
August 08, 2007 01:30PM
I'm sure there are bear boxes at most of the major trailheads on Tioga Road. I started off my trip at Tenaya Lake/Sunrise Lakes Trailhead, where there were at least a couple.

In the Valley, there are plenty of boxes at the backpackers parking lot. I don't think there are any others in the Valley; they seem to be located at trailhead parking. I saw one combination lock (big no no) placed on a shared bear box. I went back a few hours later to retrieve some stuff to take to the backpackers campground, and it was either removed by the owner or cut off by the Park Service; I hop it was the latter. I didn't have a problem with theft of food, but I did place my stuff in a cardboard "under-bed" box. I returned to find that some rodent had chewed through the box, although it hadn't chewed into any of the food packaging. Strange.

Re: Bear boxes for HSC hikers
August 09, 2007 10:39AM
If you leave anything in Bear Boxes, PLEASE:

If you have the choice, store in boxes, rather than bags. It is easy to stack boxes without damaging things, it makes a mess when you stack stuff in bags.

LABEL your stuff, with a generous exit date. People leave stuff, use these boxes as trash dumps, people forget stuff. It is ridiculous to have stuff sit there taking up space all summer. The staff periodically removes the junk, you don't want your stuff removed because there was no date!

Plus, boxes are really easy to write exit info on!
avatar Re: Bear boxes for HSC hikers
August 09, 2007 11:36AM
I think those plastic storage boxes are the preferred means. It makes it easier to take in an out, and should provide a small amount of resistance to mice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login