Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Water at Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Water at Yosemite
August 25, 2010 12:31AM
Can someone tell me, like this summer when there is not much water, when I should have come to Yosemite to still experience reasonable water levels. I just returned (Aug. 26th, 2010) and it was dissappointing. But next year I want to go earlier, but don't want to deal with mosquitoes or cold. So what is a good time to go and have a significant amount of water, but still hot enough to hang out on the river and swim?
August 25, 2010 01:02AM
May thruough June is the best for water.
August 25, 2010 06:19AM
Back to the future? (returned Aug. 26)

Try going early to mid July. It'll be warm in the valley. Perhaps blisteringly hot.
If you go too early then you won't be going in the water unless you have a death wish.
August 25, 2010 08:31AM
Warmer water to swim in, water going over the falls, warm weather, and no mosquitoes is an impossible combination. The mosquitoes come out with slower water flow and warmer weather. Lots of water coming over the falls usually means the water will be very cold as it is snow melt and the flows in the streams and rivers are deadly. Warm water, warm weather, and no mosquitoes is usually late August thus no water in the falls.

You only get to pick any two or three but it doesn't matter as any where in the park at any time is beyond compare.

Mosquitoes can be easily dealt with with properly applied repellent. You are on your own in dealing with the cold water. Billi-e-g and I measured water at 33ºF in Falls Creek in the spring of 2009.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login